Chapter 27

Copyrights 2014 © Elena Sgro

All Rights Reserved

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 27:

I held back my terrified screams as gunshots continued. My panic spiked with each second, the fear for my brother clawing at me. I couldn't see him. I had no idea if he was okay because of D'Angelo's large body towering over me. My face pressed into his chest, I couldn't see anything, my senses were on the fritz and the only thing that was keeping me from going into complete shock was D'Angelo's heady cologne.

"Kira!" D'Angelo's chest vibrated against my face as he yelled over the gunshots. 

I jumped clutching onto his shirt and burying my face deeper into his shirt. I couldn't do this, I wished I was somewhere else. Anywhere else, away from the blaring fire of bullet after bullet as they rained over my house.

"Kira!" 

I gasped as D'Angelo's large hand gripped the nape of my neck bring my head up out of his chest to face him. 

Tears burned my vision but I could still see the hard look in D'Angelo's eyes. There was something different about the demur in his face. It was hard, fierce nothing like the way D'Angelo usually looked at me. This new look on D'Angelo made me uneasy. It made him look more unpredictable than before, it made him dangerous and under the circumstances of a drive-by, I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

"Kira I need you to reach into the waistband of my slacks, my glock is there hand it to me" he said sternly. His voice calm considering we were under attack.

"A what?!" I gasped in shock.

"My gun cara, hand me my gun" he shouted as bullets broke another window in my lounge room. I screamed as the glass from the window closer to us shattered. D'Angelo was quick and he covered my body my face being pressed into his chest again so that he took most of the shattered fragments.

"Kira now" he barked put.

I jumped at the harshness in his voice and whimpered as I reach for the brim of his slacks. My hands shook as I found the gun. It was hard, the metal cold and daunting in my hands as I pulled out of his waistband. Never had I held a gun before and I was hoping this would be the last time I had to.

"Thank you Kira" he said quickly as he took it form me.

My body was lifted off the floor as D'Angelo wrapped his arm around my torso and held me close to his chest, before dragging both of us across the floor and behind the couch. 

"I want you to stay here and keep your head down, okay. Don't come out till I say so" D'Angelo said as his face came level to mine. 

That hard demur of his still in place but his eyes were different, almost like a green fire burning into mine. Pleading with me to do what he asked.

"What about Santo?" I asked gripping onto his arm as he went to turn away.

Fear shot straight through me at the thought of my brother still under the rain of bullets and D'Angelo going back out there.

"I'll worry about him later right now I wanna get these guys away from here" D'Angelo said just before he ducked out behind the couch. 

I gripped onto the edge of the couch, my eyes squeezed tight as I heard shot after shot. My heart pounding with each second D'Angelo was out there. What if he got shot, what if he died. What if I was left here with my brother under the merciless of the goons outside attacking my house.