Chapter 34

Copyrights 2014 © Elena Sgro

All Rights Reserved

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 34:

Looking between the two I was more confused than I ever had been before. My mind was churning painfully slow as I kept glancing between them. They were both so tense that it set me on edge. Gino’s jaw was clenched tight, his hands fisting into tight balls before releasing. His whole presence made me uneasy. Glancing back over at Adrianna my heart broke. Her hands were fiddling with the edge of her top, her eyes gazing at Gino with a glassy haze as she chewed on her lower lip. 

I had only seen Adrianna once like this before, when we were eighteen. Of course Adrianna being the strong willed girl she was she didn’t tell me what was wrong, and I haven’t found out since. It broke my heart to see her like this, and the fact that it was because of Gino made the whole situation worse. 

I had come to think of Gino as a brother, different from my biological brother in attitude, but a brother no less. But by the way Adrianna was looking at him, I had a feeling I was going to need to give him a good kick in the ass for whatever had happened between them.

“What is he doing here?” Adrianna whispered.

Her voice was so soft that if I hadn’t been sitting beside her I wouldn’t have heard her. That voice made my heart clench. She sounded so feeble and cold, it wasn’t Adrianna, the one it considered my sister, it was a complete stranger. Someone that had changed rapidly due to chaotic times and hadn’t recovered properly, losing herself in the process.

“I live here” 

My head snapped around to Gino, his teeth gritted as his eyes continued to stare at Adrianna. I was still confused on their relation and as I spotted D’Angelo’s cool demur and calculating eyes I felt jealous that he was in on the situation and I wasn’t. I was determined to find out what was going on, there was no way I wouldn’t find out, but I fear if my impatience got the best of me I wouldn’t get the answers I desired, so I had to go about the problem cautiously.

“He what?” she questioned, her eyes wide as she glanced between D'Angelo and I.

“Gino is D’Angelo’s first cousin” I responded before D'Angelo could. By the glint in his eye I knew he was taking some enjoyment in the situation, probably seeing this as payback for the way Adrianna had barged into his house. Either way, it wasn’t healthy and I wasn’t about to let D’Angelo make matters worse when I could she he was going to be harsh towards Adrianna about the situation. 

Adrianna gasped, her teary eyes darting between D'Angelo and Gino, no doubt looking over both of them to detect any sort of feature to indicate their relation. Her hands shook and I knew she had discovered everything.

Though the two where first cousins there was some similarities, their tanned olive skin, dark hair and straight noses held the traits of their grandfather and most likely their fathers. The similar genetics weren’t ones that I would have picked straight away considering so many people carried those traits but between the two they held a sort of uniqueness.

“Shit” Adrianna muttered as she looked away from them, her eyes focusing on the floor.

“Adri, I-” 

“No!” she spat as she shot to her feet.

My mouth was agape as she moved so quickly before my eyes, rushing towards Gino. She stopped only inches away from him before her hand pulled back behind her, high over her shoulder, before swing back. The sickening slap of skin against skin sounded as her palm met her cheek.