Chapter 32

Copyrights 2014 © Elena Sgro

All Rights Reseved 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 32:

"You cheated!"

I sniggered under my breath as I left the rumpus room, Gino hot on my heels. 

For hours Gino had forced me to play game after game of pool. At first I had complied, had even pretended to I didn't know how to play. Of course that had resulted in Gino wanting to show me. The old cliche move of the girl trying to line up her shot and the guy leaning over her in attempt to help her was demonstrated until I hit Gino with the pool stick in warning. Threatening his balls was the last straw, he finally left me alone to make my own shot. And didn't come near me for the rest of the game.

Of course the first two games I kept up the charade before I decided to make a bet. After that, I  kept upping my game. Getting better and better until Gino couldn't even land a shot and I won all my money back and then some.

"You con-artist!" he exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes and held in my laughter as I made my way to the kitchen, where I knew Amado would be cooking. As I entered the hallway, leading to the kitchen, the rich aroma of lasagna hit my senses making my taste buds water and my stomach turn with hunger.

Being with D'Angelo for the last two days had been different from what I had expected, especially seeing as there was always a hot meal ready from me made personally by Amado. I, of course, didn't spend much time with D'Angelo during the day and some of the night because he was 'working', but I wasn't lonely. 

Gino kept a close eye on me during the day, and even though I was being watched, or 'babysat' as Gino liked to call it, I still felt free as a bird. Aside from the fact that I had no contact with the outside world. That, of course, didn't make me feel any less guilty for the whole situation.

"Ah, eccola" (Ah, there she is) he said happily as he turned to smile at me. 

"It smells amazing Amado" I grinned as I went over to kiss his cheek. His cheeks tinged pink under his light olive skin making me grin beam. In the last two days, Amado had weaselled his way into my heart. He reminded me so much of my grandfather and I couldn't help but grow close to him.

"I don't understand why you're so kind to her" Gino grumbled as he sat down on the barstool and folded his arms over his chest. 

He pouted like a little child making me laugh. To see a man of his size act in such a way was just too comical. The mere size of Gino ruled out any sort of childishness. He looked to rough and dangerous to pout, and yet I had been completely proven wrong with his current behaviour.

A giggle slipped past my lips making Gino raise an eyebrow at me, causing me to cackle.

"Look at her, lei è meravigliosa. How can she rude?" (She is wonderful) Amado chuckled as he pulled the lasagna out of the oven and set it on top of the stove to let it cool.

I blushed at Amado's kind words and pulled up a stool next to Gino.

"Wonderful!" Gino scoffed. "She's a cheat!"

Amado laughed, leaning against the counter in front of us. He shook his head at Gino but a grin tugged at his lips. It was like this every time we sat down for a meal. Gino whining about something while Amado and I laughed at him.

"Mmm" I moaned in delight as I scarfed down Amado's homemade lasagna. Everything tasted to perfect when Amado cooked. Anything he made was better than I could ever achieve.  Then again food always tasted better when someone else made it. Or maybe that was just the lazy part of my brain trying to convince me I shouldn't cook anymore.