Are you actively trying to turn me on?

Porter's POV

I'd been volunteering at the hospital for one year, three months and ten days. I'd accidentally spilled pee on myself three times. The first time you spill an entire tray of pee samples on yourself, you curse, mumble about how ridiculous the entire thing is, and hope that no one notices that you smell like a men's urinal at a gas station. The second time you spill pee on yourself, you start researching on the internet why you're like this, and why you can't seem to stop making a ridicule of yourself. Now the third time...the third time is the worst. You've done your research, you've blamed the first time on human error, so by the third, all hope that you're not a new kind of awkward, clumsy species are dashed.

I was mostly used to the stares and whispers that followed me everywhere. On most days those whispers were focused solely on the subject of my absentee, psychopath of a father. But this time, they left him completely out of their conversations, instead focusing on the weirdo walking down main street, drenched in about ten different stranger's urine. I was sure they could smell from a mile away.

I kept my head down as I made my way to my house, grumbling the entire way there. As much as I wanted to blame the entire thing on the nurse who had handed me the tray of pee, and demanded I, 'take it to the third floor, and don't look at me that way, Porter; it's your job', I couldn't. It was all my fault...and Brayden's. Stupid Brayden and his stupid smile. Stupid blue eyes. Stupid mouth. Stupid jawline and his stupid everything.

Before Brayden had convinced himself that it was a good idea to involve himself with me in any way, it was very easy to avoid him. It would have also been very easy to ignore the giant crush I'd been nursing for a week now.

I'd been going to the same school as the twins since we were in nursery, never really having an interest in them or their friends. Sure, I found their lives fascinating as it was so much different from mine. But I never cared enough to try to befriend them, like most kids had. As we got older, the Cavanaughs became a fleeting thought. They became the rich, clueless family with a tragic beginning, but with the happy ending that my family would never have. Everyone in town knew what both Casey and Ryder Cavanaugh had been through as teenagers. Once he got drafted into the NHL, and caught the attention of the world, it wasn't long before every skeleton in both his and his wife's closet were exposed.

I didn't hate the Cavanaughs, they were actually one of the few families who didn't go out of their way to make my family's life a miserable hell. They stayed on their side of town, and were nice the few times I'd bumped into them around town. But as much as I didn't hate them, I did my damn best to stay away from them. They were sacred. The family our backwards town did everything in their power to protect from both my mother and I. Which is why I knew how bad the blowout of Brayden's plan would be.

"Hey, love is that you?" I heard my mom yell from the kitchen as I swung the front door open. Pulling off my candy-striper uniform, I walked into the kitchen in nothing but my bra and panties. "Spill pee on yourself again?"

"So which of the two of you caused the curse of clumsy Porter, huh? The psychopath in jail or the psychopath in the kitchen?" I asked her with a whine, walking over to the washer set alongside the dryer in our small laundry room next to the kitchen.

"Actually, that one is on your grandmother, his mother of course, she was a mean old bitch who was always tripping and spilling shit. Real disaster." I poked my head from behind the wall separating the kitchen and the little laundry room, and gave her a look, "Oh not you, honey, she was. That woman was a lawsuit waiting to happen."

"Mom, I am a lawsuit waiting to happen," I told her, walking out the laundry room and heading to my room.

"Well, they'll just be screwing themselves, because we are broke," I heard her reply as I made my way into my room, and I couldn't help but laugh. My mom was the only person in the world who could manage to make me laugh while I was covered in the urine of twelve different strangers.