He's a douchenozzle

Walking out of the school building, I couldn't help the sigh that made my body sag with relief as I finally breathed in a breath of fresh air. The thought of finally getting to go home and taking a nap, made me want to grin and pump my fist in the air. After enduring hours of stares and whispers, I was ready to go home and forget about my problems for a few hours.

That relief, however, was short-lived when a blue volkswagen convertible beetle pulled up, Macy in the driver's seat. Blowing her horn to get my attention, even though I was clearly already staring at her, she waved with a big grin. Fighting the urge to laugh, I shook my head, and walked over towards her.

"Hey, Porter, you ready?" she asked, cheerfully. Smiling, I nodded, and hopped into her car. "Okay, so I know you're probably tired and want to get home, but I really feel like eating a burger and having one of those shakes from the diner. What do you say, come with? I really don't want to eat alone."

As much as I wanted to crawl into bed and sleep for as long as I could, the hopeful smile that she threw my way, had me agreeing. What was with the Cavanaughs and getting me to say yes to things so easily?

"So, how was your day? You and my brother have been the talk of the school. I had more people than usual walk up to me, and ask about Brady today than I've ever had," she rambled, turning her car left at the parking lot exit. Pulling onto the main road, she glanced over at me with a grin, her brown locks swinging back with the wind.

"Um, it was fine," I immediately lied. There was no reason for me to tell her that it had been one of my worst days at school as of yet. I’d been tripped twice, glared at from every direction, snickers following me down the hall as I made my way to my locker to find the words, 'murdering whore' written on a piece of paper shoved into my locker.

"If it wasn’t you would tell me, right? I mean, I get what it's like dating a Cavanaugh boy. Girls can be mean and I've seen how dirty they can play," she replied, shaking her head, sadly.

"Um, yeah, of course," I lied, again, trying to hide my guilty wince.

She laughed, "You are a terrible liar."

"Yeah, I know. I couldn't get away with shit as a kid," I replied, making her laugh harder, and I couldn't help but join in; her laugh was contagious.

"So tell me, how the actual fuck did my moronic brother, convince you to go out with him? I mean, I love him, but he's a douchenozzle," she said, throwing me a quick glance before turning back to the empty road ahead of her. We were a couple of blocks from the diner, and the traffic had thinned out right as we’d turned onto the street leading to the diner, as it usually did. Most of the traffic at this hour were people heading into the better part of town.

"He's really persistent...That and he has the bluest eyes I've ever seen...He could probably get me to rob a bank with those eyes. Not that I ever think about robbing a bank, I'm just saying that his eyes are...wow. I...I'm going to stop talking now," I rambled, snapping my mouth shut, and fighting the urge to sigh in frustration.

"I don't know about the eyes, but yeah, the twins are pretty persistent," she laughed. "When we were kids, they could get away with anything if they just pouted and stared at my dad with big, innocent eyes. Like you, he was a sucker for those eyes."

I chuckled as she pulled into the diner’s parking lot, parking near the entrance, before turning her car off, the top sliding up into place. Getting out of the car, I followed her into the diner.

The few customers sitting scattered in different booths, turned around at the bell, their eyes falling on me for a second before shifting to Macy, next to me. They stared at her, curiously, probably wondering what she was doing in this part of town. I wasn't surprised that they'd chosen to focus on Macy instead of me. The customers that frequented the diner, where people who lived on the rougher side of town as well, some of them having secrets worse than those of my own family. They were used to people like me, they weren't used to people like her.