16: Lux Callaghan is the Girl for Me

"Why are you so late?" questions Eric as I walk in the diner

"Why are you so late?" questions Eric as I walk in the diner. He has an alarmed face which could only mean one thing.

"Lux, you're finally here," comments Mr. Peyton, Eric's dad and owner of the diner.

"Uh yes sir," I respond.

"Follow me," he says and walks off to his office. He doesn't come to the diner that often, only on few occasions.

I glance at Eric and he gives me a reassuring smile.

"You'll be fine."

I nod and reluctantly walk toward Mr. Peyton's office. I walk inside and he asks me to sit.

"So Lux you've been working here for what? Eight months?"

"Something like that," I respond nervously.

"Do you know why you're in my office right now?"

"I'm really sorry for being late sir. I know I should have called earlier but I was unable to do so because I was in detention and-"

"Oh, I'm not worried about today's tardiness," he says, "From what I see this is actually your first time being late so don't stress."

"Oh," I say, "then if it's not because of that. Then why am I here?"

"You're employee of the month," he says.

"What?"

"I just called you in so that I can take your picture and frame it on the employee of the month wall."

"Oh, wait, seriously?"

"Yes."

"That's amazing! Thank you so much sir."

"Sure thing," he responds. After he takes my picture and I walk out of his office. At this time the diner has gotten a little busy and from the corner of my eye I catch Nat taking orders. She's finishes writing down the last order and walks back.

"Oh hey," she says. She places the order slip where the chef can see it and walks over to me.

"Everything good," she questions, "Eric told me Mr. Peyton wanted to talk to you."

"Yeah, I thought he was gonna kill me because I was late."

"He didn't?"

"No, he actually wanted to talk to me because I got employee of the month."

"What? No way!"

"I know!"

"That's so cool! Now finally someone beat Sylvia."

Sylvia was another worker here. She's older than Nat and I but still considered one of the young ones, according to Thomas the main cook. She had been getting employee of the month for the past couple of weeks and never failed to boast about it, although I'm not exactly sure why.