33: Okay, I'm Waiting

[Quick Author's Note: Don't judge me, this chapter is hard core cliche lmao]

Aaron is smiling.

I can feel his smile as we kiss and the moment our lips separate I can see the smile on his face. And my heart beats so fast I can hardly take it, because I just kissed him and he's smiling at me and it's everything I've wanted for a while now.

I open my mouth to say something but he beats me to it.

"Brunch, tomorrow at 11. At the Waffle House by Fort. Meet me there?"

"Y-yeah," I say and he gets up and for a moment I'm unsure of what is happening but then he turns to look at me, a soft chuckle coming out of his mouth and he smiles again before walking toward his motorcycle. I watch him go before I step back inside and I walk upstairs, finding my dad tucking Sage to sleep. My dad sighs as he places a glass of water by the night stand. When he walks out of his room I notice the dark circles that have formed in his eyes.

"Dad," I say and he looks up at me, a frown on his face. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Sage."

"I know," he replies, "you need to tell me when anything, especially something like this happens Lux. Sage could've gotten hurt, you could've gotten hurt. How am I supposed to protect you kids if you can't even tell me when you're in trouble? And what am I supposed to tell your mom tomorrow? She's gonna freak out."

"I'm sorry," I repeat, knowing the word won't do much, but I still say it.

Dad sighs and pulls me in a hug. "I know. Thank you for looking out for your brother. Promise me that you'll tell me next time, which hopefully there won't be one."

"I promise dad." Dad lets me go and we go to our rooms. That night I have to force myself to sleep. The only thing keeping me awake are Aaron's lips. And seeing him tomorrow at Waffle House. It's what I think about before I go to sleep. It's what I dream about while I am asleep. And it's the first thing that pops in my head the minute I get up.

It is nine, only two hours until I meet Aaron and I know it's still too early but I get up and get dressed. By nine-thirty I'm ready to go. I walk to Sage's room to check on him and notice he just woke up. The glass of water is empty on the night stand and he's sitting up his bed the minute I walk in. He turns his head and looks at me as I sit beside him.

"Hey," I say. "How are you feeling?"

"I've had better days," he says and lets out a sarcastic laugh. As he says this dad walks in with another glass of water and hands it to Sage who gladly takes it, gulping it immediately.

"Thanks," he tells him once he's done.

Dad only smiles as he takes a seat on the chair in front of Sage's desk and scoots over closer to us. He lets out a sigh and says, "How about I tell you two a story."