32: You and I Are Not Friends

I catch Nat up with what happened the night before during breakfast

I catch Nat up with what happened the night before during breakfast. She, like I was, couldn't help but be shocked. We had known Eric for a good while know and up until yesterday thought he was a friend of ours. It also takes a lot out of me to tell Nat what happened between Maru and Aaron on Monday at the park. I didn't want to tell her right away because even though Maru and I's friendship has crumbled down that didn't mean that hers and Maru's did too.

"Why did you tell me right away," she replies upset.

"I'm sorry," I tell her with a frown. "I didn't want this to affect your friendship between her, I don't want you choosing sides. To be honest I'm really hurt that she would do that. I know I hurt her when I went to Bianca instead of her but I didn't think she would end up doing something like this."

"Lux when anything happens to you, you need to tell me right away. Especially when it comes to Maru. I knew there was some tension but I didn't realize how bad it was. And what she did was wrong. Like I'm about to go up to her and slap her face for doing something like that. In fact I should do it right now." Nat gets up but I immediately pull her back down.

"Don't."

"Why?"

"Because I need to talk to her."

"Please tell me you're not about to forgive her."

"I'm not," I assure her, "but I don't want to end a friendship like this. I need to know why. I mean I've noticed there has been tension between us long before the party."

"Me too," she replies, "fine talk to her. But if things go bad tell me and I'll be the first one to put her down her little high horse."

I stifle a laugh when she says that. From the corner of my I can see Sage making his way over here.

"Sage is in a grumpy mood again, don't mind him."

"Again? Why?"

I frown. "He didn't get into U of A."

"No way. When did you-" Nat stops talking the moment Sage places his tray on our table.

He's got a blank look on his face and he sighs as he takes a seat beside me. He doesn't greet us but instead goes on ahead and begins to eat his mashed potatoes. Nat and I briefly glance at each other before eating our own lunch too.

Thankfully the week goes by rather quickly, nothing unsettling happens, not like the beginning of the week that is. I see Aaron around, and although I know he said we could be friends I keep my distance. Friends-who would've known that word could cause such pain.

On Saturday morning I get up around nine and get dressed. I've decided to drive to Maru's house and talk to her. I would've done it at school but she is currently avoiding me there and along with that I know that she would've just brushed me off. But I know if I show up at her house, there is no way she can ignore me. Surprisingly enough I see a car beside her own in the driveway and my thoughts go to her absent parents-or at least not-so-absent now. When I reach the door I ring the door bell, the tune loud enough so I can hear it outside. I wait for a little before the door is opened by Maru's mom. She peers at me unsure of who I am and what I am here for until she takes a closer look and a smile forms in her face.