27: Scared of Heartbreak

Nat's parents got divorced a couple days after Christmas

Nat's parents got divorced a couple days after Christmas. The process was fast seeing as which they were both in agreement that they didn't want to be together anymore. This hurt Nat more than anything and I could tell that she didn't want to choose a side. I made sure to stay by her side, guiding her so that she doesn't feel alone. After all I've been through this as well only a couple of years ago with my parents. Just because it didn't hit me as hard as it hit her didn't mean it didn't hurt.

From the day where I found Nat crying in her room to now, December 28th, Aaron had been coming more often to my house. At times unannounced and other times he would tell me. For Christmas I struggled with what to get him since I was unsure of what exactly we were. More than friends? Definitely not. I wasn't even sure if we were friends to start with. At times things would be so awkward between us and other times it would be like before in which we would spend our time bickering. He irritated me to say the least, but yet I loved it.

When the nerves came with not knowing what to give him for Christmas I gave up and asked him through text.

Me: hey so...what do you want for Christmas?

Aaron: hmm...why don't you come over and I can tell you exactly what I want ;)

Me: Come on I'm being serious here!

Aaron: you don't have to get me anything Lux

I was at loss with what to respond. I didn't want to push because in the end I wasn't even sure what was going on between us. Another minute passes and I begin typing a reply when he sends another text.

Aaron: How about we go to the movies on the 28th? I want that as my present.

Me: Movies? Sounds good...but are you sure that's what you want?

Aaron: Yeah I'm sure. :)

That damn smiley face. Maybe it was just me acting like I'm thirteen all over again but I couldn't help but squeal at the stupid emoticon.

It was only a few hours until Aaron and I would be going to the movies and I was at Nat's house. I had slept over the night before and I had just made us breakfast.

"Thanks," says Nat when I give her the plate filled with pancakes and eggs.

"No problem," I say and sit in front of her. We begin eating when she speaks again.

"You never finished telling me what else happened at the wedding," she says.

I look up, realizing that as well.

"Oh yeah," I say.

"So what happened with Eric? I'm really confused on that."

"Yeah so am I. Because he said that you told him to go because Aaron called. But you said you didn't tell him that at all. And Aaron's story is different too."