31: Thicker Than Water

"They're cousins," Nat replies

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Cousins! They're cousins," she repeats, "to be quite honest I don't know how we never saw it, they both have reddish hair, same eye color and everything. Looking at them now I can totally see it."

"Cousins?"

"Yup," she replies.

"How did you find out?"

"Well I just got to work and I saw Giana walking out of Eric's dad's office and she called him uncle."

"Wow," I say, "why didn't he tell us? Didn't we tell Eric about her back when she uploaded that audio on her Instagram?"

"I think we did. I don't know to be honest, I want to trust in him because we're both good friends with him but the more we find out the more we realize we don't know Eric as well as we thought we did."

"Exactly," I say and then an idea hits me. "Hey is Giana still there?"

"Yeah, she's sitting at a booth here with her friends."

"What about Eric?" I question.

"Not yet, but I know he's supposed to come because I saw the employee sign in sheets."

"Okay, I'm on my way then."

"Okay," she replies, "I have to go before anyone sees me on the phone but I'll see you here."

When Aaron had ended things with Giana back then on Homecoming night, I thought that was the last I'd see of her. But now I realize how wrong I was, and more than anything, how much I needed something not only from her but from Eric as well. I had questions, and they were the only ones who could answer them.

"Mom can I go to the diner? I'm kind of hungry and Nat is there-"

"Be back by ten the latest."

"Thank you. Bye. Love you."

"Love you too," she replies from the living room as I make my way to exit the front door. Once I'm inside my car I drive as fast as I can to the diner only to find the parking lot completely filled so park on the side of the street, not too far from the diner. I get down as fast as I can and begin to run toward the diner. My phone buzzes and I look down as I run as I try to look for my phone inside my bag when suddenly I bump into someone.

"I'm sorry." The words come out before I get a chance to see who I'm talking to.

Aaron's eyes lock with mine, his expression going from confused to concern within seconds.

"Are you okay?" It was the first words of worry he had said to me since the party. In fact it was the first words that showed interest for my wellbeing instead of words only used for me to leave him alone.

"I...," my words trail off and I know that I should probably tell him about Giana and Eric but I'm too worried that Giana may leave or Eric won't be there if I don't get there soon so I take a step back from Aaron and say, "I have to go."