28: You Weren't Dazing at That Guy Right?

"Green grapes or purple one?"

I looked up at my mom as she held up a bag of green grapes in her left hand and the bag of purple grapes in her right hand. We were currently in Costco buying groceries.

"Grapes? For what?"

"New Years, what do you mean for what."

"Oh," I said, "I didn't know we were gonna do anything this New Years, we normally don't do anything."

"I know but I decided this year should be different. Should we invite your dad?"

"Dad? To the house? Your house?"

"Yes where else?"

"Are you feeling alright?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Well you would never want to invite dad for New Year's."

"That's not true."

"Mom you once threatened to throw the toaster at him if he came too close to the house that one time he dropped Sage and I off after Christmas."

"I was bluffing."

"You had it in your hands when you opened the door for us."

"Oh Lux, you're overanalyzing things."

"I don't know," I say and pause for a moment, "I was actually going to ask you today-"

"What?"

"So Maru is throwing a party-"

"Her parents are throwing a party? Why didn't they tell me? I always invite them over for Thanksgiving. Unless they invited your dad then I would understand. They don't normally like to invite both of us at their home events."

"Actually her parents aren't going to be there."

"What? Then who's supervising?"

"Um-"

"Is Sage going?"

"I'm not sure."

"If he goes then you can go, but you have to be home by one. One-thirty the latest since I know New Years is at midnight. If you're not home by that time I will go over her house and break havoc, understood?"

"Yes ma'am. Thank you."

"Don't say thank you yet, you have to figure out if Sage is going."

"Okay, but still, thank you," I tell her and she smiles whilst rolling her eyes playfully.