26: His Smile Is Torture to My Heart

"Can we talk?"

"Can we talk?"

The question came from none other than my best friend Nat. We were at her house, decorating it with all types of things that screamed Christmas. Every year her family and her host a Christmas party for friends a couple days before the 25th of December. I was in the middle of hanging up lights around the stairs when Nat says that. I stop and let go of the lights before walking down the steps to where she is.

"Sure," I say, "what's up?"

"What's going on with you?"

"What?" I question suddenly caught off guard.

"I mean I know you're fine, or you act like you are but," and her voice trails off and she gives me knowing look.

"But what?" I say. "I'm actually fine Nat. I passed all my classes with a high B and-"

"I mean with Aaron Reeves," she says and this time crosses her arms as she looks at me with an expectant look.

"Aaron? What about him?"

"That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Ever since that day that he asked me where the wedding was something happened between you two. I know it did because you two barely talk now. You two barley even stare at each other in the hallways, and when you guys are around each other you're all weird and awkward. I mean I know you don't have to tell me if you don't want to but-"

"I'm sorry," I say and look down, suddenly feeling ashamed. This entire time I've been moping, only thinking about my feelings toward Aaron that I was too blind to see that my best friend was worried about me.

Nat lets out a sigh and shakes her head.

"You don't have a reason to be sorry Lux. I just don't want you to act like you're okay in front of me when you're not. That's what I'm here for, to make you feel better when you're feeling down."

"Thanks," I say and give her a hug.

"I'll tell you what happened," I say when I let her go.

"You don't have to I just-"

"I want to," I assure her.

We sit on the steps next to each other so that I can tell her.

"I ruined the wedding," I say.

"What? How?"

"Remember how I told you about my mom's crazy plan about all of us, including my dad, acting like if they didn't get divorced?"

"Yeah."

"So like you know Aaron was late and the entire time throughout the ceremony I was moping around because I though he had completely forgotten about me, or even worse did it on purpose. I just kept thinking about how the day before I was completely excited about him going and I even created a fictional scenario of how the wedding would go. Obviously it didn't happen that way. By the reception I was fed up, angry because he didn't show up. So I made a big speech about it to everyone, letting my emotions get the best of me. And along the way I revealed the lie between my parents to my mom's side of the family and I completely ruined the wedding with my yelling."