Chapter 5

***Aleana POV***

I sit on a chair, gazing at the ring that sat on Frodo's kitchen table, as father told Frodo of its origins. 

"This is the one ring forged by the dark lord, Sauron, in the fires of Mount Doom...taken by Isildur from the hand of Sauron himself."

Frodo is quiet before a realization sets in, "Bilbo found it...in Gollum's cave."

I look up in surprise. So that is how he had got past the goblins then, how he was able to escape without a single scratch on him. But when Thorin had asked how, father had stopped Bilbo from speaking. Had father known? I look to father as he continues speaking. 

"For sixty years the ring lay quiet in Bilbo's keeping, prolonging his life, delaying old age...but no longer, Frodo. Evil is stirring in Mordor. The ring has awoken. It has heard its master's call."

"Sauron is back," I ask in surprise and fear. Father is about to answer but a fleeting, low whisper of black speech emanates from the ring and in that moment I feel the same burning in my body as I had during the vision. A slow, but painful hum fills my head and I wince in pain, but just as soon it stops, the voice diminishing. We look to each other, knowing that we had all heard it. 

"But he was destroyed," Frodo claims, "Sauron was destroyed."

"No, Frodo. The spirit of Sauron has endured. His life force is bound to the ring and the ring survived. Sauron has returned. His orcs have multiplied...his fortress of Barad-dur is rebuilt in the land of Mordor. Sauron needs only this ring to cover all the lands in the second darkness. He is seeking it, seeking it, all his thought is bent on it. For the ring yearns, above all else, to return to the hand of its master: they are one, the ring and the dark lord. Frodo, he must never find out."

Frodo stares in quiet shock at father when suddenly he scoops up the ring and hurriedly enters the living room. Father and I stand, following him.

"We put it away, we keep it hidden! We never speak of it again. No one knows it's here do they?" 

Both Frodo and I turn to look at father and we see him shift uncomfortably.

"Do they, father?"

Father looks to us, sadly, as he speaks, "There is one other who knew that Bilbo had the ring. I looked everywhere for the creature Gollum, but the enemy found him first. I don't know how long they tortured him...but amidst the endless screams and inane babble, they discerned two words: Shire! Baggins!"

"Shire! Baggins," I exclaim, walking up to father and looking up at him in shock, "that will lead them here! Everyone here is in danger! The hobbits, Frodo, everyone father!"

"Take it! Take it," we turn and Frodo was thrusting the ring towards us. I step back and away from the ring as does father.

"No, Frodo," father says.

"You must take it!"

"You cannot offer us this ring."

"I'm giving it to you!"

"Don't tempt us, Frodo. I dare not take it, not even to keep it safe," Frodo looks down at the ring in his hand as father continues, "understand, Frodo...both Aleana and I would use this Ring from a desire to do good, but through us it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine."

"But it cannot stay in the Shire," Frodo exclaims.

"No, no it can't."

"What must I do," Frodo looks to us in sheer desperation. 

...

Frodo had begun packing, throwing clothes into a knapsack while Father watched him while making plans. 

"You must leave, and leave quickly. Get out of the Shire," he turns to me, "Aleana I ask you go with him, keep him safe for as long as you can."

"Of course father, but where shall we go?"

"Make for the village of Bree."

"Very well, but what about you?"

"I will be waiting for you at the Inn of the Prancing Pony," I nod and turn to help Frodo pack food into his knapsack.

"And the ring will be safe there," Frodo asks.

"I don't know, Frodo. I don't have any answers. I must see the Head of my Order. He is both wise and powerful."

"You are going to go see Lord Saruman," I ask and father nods. 

"He'll know what to do." I nod before grabbing my own knapsack and heading towards the bathroom to change. I step out of the silver, floor length dress I had been wearing and pull on my red tunic that stopped just a few inches above my knees. With it I wear black leggings and pull on my riding boots. Grabbing my quiver, I fix it across my chest before tying the belt that held my sword around my waist. I grab the two daggers Thorin had gifted me at the end of our journey in Erebor and strap them to my boots. 

I look to make sure my necklace was around my neck, a beautiful blue stone, held in the meldings of brass. It was the light of Feanor, the only gift I had from my mother.

Taking two strands from the sides of my head, I braid them, joining them in the back, allowing the rest of my hair fall down in small waves to my mid-back. I pick my brown cloak and tie it in front of my neck, leaving the hood down for now and lastly grab my bow in my hand and finally walk out to where Gandalf and Frodo stood talking. They look up as I enter.

"All ready my child," father asks and I nod. I look to Frodo and see him gaping at me in surprise.

"Are you alright Frodo?"

"I have only ever seen you in dresses, without weapons. You look like a warrior Aleana, a most beautiful warrior."

I laugh, smiling down at Frodo, "I am a warrior Master Frodo, though I'd rather solve conflicts peacefully, but for the journey we are setting out on, I'm afraid that is not an option."

Frodo is about to say something when we there is a sound from outside. I immediately grab Frodo, pulling him behind me, while with speed unlike any I fit an arrow in my bow, aiming at the open window. Father moves quietly towards the window, a heavy tension hanging in the air. He raises his staff above the window and slams it down on the intruder. We hear a yelp of pain and father hauls a small figure into the room as I move forward, swiftly aiming the arrow down towards the intruder only to be surprised to see Sam sprawled across the floor.

"Sam," I ask in confusion as he looks up in terror at the arrow pointed at him. I move away when I realize we are not in danger, putting the arrow back in my quiver. Father looms over Sam, and the poor hobbit looks quite terrified, though I do not blame him for father could be quite scary when angry, and at the moment he looked livid. 

A/n: What do you guys think? They will start on their adventure soon I promise and you will get a ton of Aragorn and Aleana! For now bear with me!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!