Chapter 28

***Aleana POV***

It had been three days since we had started following the trail of the Uruk-hai, hoping to find Merry and Pippin. We had not taken rest, nor had anything to eat, but we dared not stop. Currently, I stood beside Legolas as Aragorn lay with his ear to a rock. 

"Their pace has quickened,"he says standing up," they must have caught our scent. Hurry!"

We run up the hill and I hear Legolas calling to Gimli who was trailing behind. Though I was tired, I would not stop till I find them. I could not lose anyone else. We run along the top of the mountains and hill, myself a little behind Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli a few ways behind us. 

Aragorn suddenly stops and bends to pick something. We come to stop beside him and see him holding Pippin's elven brooch. I knew because he wouldn't stop playing with it and ended up scratching it. 

"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall," Aragorn says.

"They may yet be alive," I whisper to him, looking with hope at the brooch.

"Less than a day ahead of us," Aragorn nods, handing me the brooch and I place it in my pocket, "come."

"Come, Gimli," Legolas yells as we begin down the hill with speed, "we're gaining on them!"

We arrive at the brow of the hill, and we stop atop it, looking down on the plains below. 

"Rohan," Aragorn speaks, "home of the Horse-lords. There's something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures. Sets it will against us."

Legolas runs a little ahead and Aragorn shouts over to him. 

"Legolas! What do your Elf-eyes see?"

"The Uruks turn northeast," Legolas answers, "they are taking the hobbits to Isengard."

"Saruman," I say turning to Aragorn and he nods grimly, "we cannot let Saruman get his hands on Merry and Pippin, Aragorn. We must make haste to reach them."

He nods and we run down the hill after the Uruk-hai, trying our hardest to catch up to them.

"They've run as if the very whips of their masters were behind them," Legolas says.

"Perhaps it is exactly that which they fear," I say, though more to myself than any of the others. We keep running, through the night and into the day. We were all tiring, but adrenaline coursed through our veins and we pushed ourselves hard. 

Aragorn pauses to look at tracks on the ground and we all stop as he does so. Suddenly we hear the sounds of neighing and thundering hooves. He grabs my hand and beckons the others to follow him as we hide behind some rocks. I crouch behind Aragorn and see as a large group of horses and horsemen thunder past us. Aragorn turns his head slightly to me and whispers. 

"Draw your hood," and then he goes out of hiding, followed by us. I draw my hood, hiding my face as he calls out to the riders. 

"Riders of Rohan...what news from the Mark?" 

The riders circle round and gallop towards us and circle round us, spears drawn. Aragorn pushes me behind him so I was in between the three as one of the horsemen dismounts and walks towards us.

"What business do Elf, a Man and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly." 

I listen quietly behind Aragorn, letting the man assume I am an Elf, though I suppose he wasn't completely wrong. 

"Give me your name, horse-master, and I shall give you mine," Gimli says as respectfully as he could. 

"I would cut off you head, Dwarf...if it stood but a little higher from the ground."

Legolas quickly draws an arrow and aims for the man's head as I looked surprised. It was strange seeing an Elf defend a dwarf.

"You would die before your stroke fell," he says angrily. Aragorn lowers Legolas's arm and steps between him and the man. 

"I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. This is Aleana, daughter of Gandalf. This is is Gimli, son of Gloin, and Legolas of the Woodland Realm. We are friends of Rohan and Theoden, your king."

The man's eyes fall on me in surprise and he takes off his helmet. My eyes widen when I realize it is Eomer and I pull back my hood, before running to him and throwing my arms around his neck. He laughs, picking me up and twirling me around. Everyone looks on surprised and he motions for the Rohirrim to raise their spears.

"Aleana," he says, "I am so happy to see you faring well."

"How are you Eomer? It has been too long since I last saw you. And what of Eowyn? Is she well? And your uncle the king? How has he been?"

"Theoden no longer recognizes friend from foe. Not even his own kin. Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king and claimed lordship over these lands."

"That is not good at all. But why are you here? Should you not be beside him? He would need the love of his kin," I ask.

"My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished," he moves a little closer to me, continuing his talk in a whisper, "you travel with strange companions my lady. The White Wizard is cunning and has many spies."

I laugh, moving away and gesturing to Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli.

"They are not spies, you may trust them. We were tracking a pack of Uruk-hai. They have taken two of our friends captive."

"The Uruks are destroyed," Eomer answers, "we slaughtered them during the night."

"But there were two Hobbits," Gimli says desperately, "did you see two Hobbits with them?"

"They would be small," Aragorn adds, "only children to your eyes."

Eomer looks down solemnly and I place a hand on his arm. His eyes come up to meet mine.

"Eomer," I ask.

"We left none alive. We piled the carcasses and burned them," he points to a smoking pile behind him. I close my eyes, holding back my tears. 

"Dead," I hear Gimli ask in disbelief and I open my eyes to see Eomer looking to me.

"I am sorry," he takes my hands in his, before whistling for two horses, "may these horses bear you to better fortune than their former masters. Farewell."

He places a kiss on my forehead before putting back his helmet, and mounting his horse. I move back into Aragorn's chest, his arm going around my waist, as I look up at Eomer. He looks to us.

"Look for your friends, but do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands," then he turns to his men, "We ride north!"

We watch as the Rohirrim ride away, Eomer leading them and I feel a lone tear slide down my face. 

A/n: So started The Two Towers! Hope you like it!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!