Chapter 26

***Aragorn POV***

As the others move into the boats, Lord Celeborn walks me aside from the others. I look back to see the Lady Galadriel speaking with Aleana.

"Strange creatures bearing the White Hand have been seen on our borders," Lord Celeborn tells me, "seldom do Orcs journey in the open under the sun, yet these have done so."

He holds out a dagger to me and I take it, unsheathing it. It is a beautiful, yet deadly work of art.

"Le aphadar aen [you are being tracked]," Lord Celeborn continues and I replace the dagger in its sheath, "by river you have the chance of outrunning the enemy to the Falls of Rauros."

I nod, taking his advice to heart and he walks off, Lady Galadriel taking his place before me.

"I have nothing greater to give than the gift you already bear," she says, touching the Light of Valinor pendant of Aleana's that I wore.

"An meleth din cin must cost. Beri- hen [for her love you must fight. Protect her.],"

"Im would readilui on- nin cuil an hen [i would readily give my life for her.]," I answer.

"Among our kind, the Light of Valinor is not so easily, nor readily, given to anyone. It holds our deepest love, she knows that. Never betray nor doubt her love, for I see in her heart and I know it stands true. It is her choice how her fate ends, for nothing is written in stone. Even the writings of a ring or the power of our blood can be reversed. But that is her choice.

You have your own choice to make, Aragorn. To rise above the height of all your fathers since the days of Elendil or to fall into darkness with all that is left of your kin.

Namarie [farewell]."

I bow to her and turn to leave, but she stops me.

"Nadath na i moe cerich. Dan u-'eveditham, Elessar [there is much you have yet to do. We shall not meet again, Elessar]."

I am about to answer, but a voice floats towards us, causing us to turn to it.

"Nana [mother]," Aleana says, smiling at her mother,"gi melin [i love you]."

I smile at their moment before bowing one last time to Lady Galadriel and turning to climb into the boat with Frodo and Sam, taking the oars. We push off the bank, passing into the great River Anduin. We all turn to look back once and see Lady Galadriel waving us off.

My eyes fall on Aleana and see she is laughing with Gimli and Legolas, her laugh keeping my worry at bay. As the day passes into night, I finally call out to the others to make for land so we can eat and rest. We safely store the three boats on the bank out of the water, and setting up camp on shore.

Sam starts a campfire and puts on food. I look to see Aleana has taken a seat beside Frodo a little further away, both speaking in whispers.

***Aleana POV***

I go to sit by Frodo who sat a little ways off from the others. So lost in my own world, I had left Frodo completely alone, not being the friend to him that he deserved.

"Would you like some food Frodo," I ask, taking a seat beside him.

"No, Aleana."

"What's wrong? You haven't been eating nor sleeping. You cannot go on like this Frodo."

"I'm all right."

"You're not and I need you to know that I'm here to help. Please talk to me, Frodo."

He looks to me, a strange sadness in his eyes, but also a determination.

"I know what I must have to do, but I am afraid to do it."

"We are all afraid, Frodo, but it is that fear that fuels our motivation. Even our smallest decisions can change everything."

"You know that this path I have to take alone, right?"

"I understand, and when you decide, I will let go, wishing you all the luck in the world."

"Thank you, Aleana."

"I love you Frodo Baggins."

"I love you too, but I'm sure Aragorn would be jealous if he heard," he laughs and I smile. Suddenly arguing between Aragorn and Boromir has both Frodo and I looking to them. Excusing myself, I move to stand beside Aragorn.

"Have you so little faith in your own people," Boromir asks, "yes, there is weakness. There is frailty. But there is courage also, and honor to be found in Men. But you will not see that."

Aragorn turns to leave and Boromir grabs his tunic, turning Aragorn to him.

"Boromir, please stop," I say, but he ignores me as he continues to yell.

"You are afraid! All your life, you have hidden in the shadows. Scared of who you are, of what you are."

Aragorn adjusts his tunic and turns away from Boromir, turning his back to him.

"I will not lead the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city," Aragorn seethes before walking off and leaving Boromir and I speechless. I turn to Boromir, placing a hand on his arm, making him look down at me.

"You must understand why he runs away from his past. The burden he carries is too heavy, and one you do not understand. Do not judge him for it, for he has much strength in him, and he will show it one day I am sure. For now, he is merely doing what is best for the fellowship."

"Of course you'd support him you wench," Boromir insults and pushes me away. I stumble back and an arm around my back steadies me.

"Boromir," Legolas says sternly, righting me up. Boromir just glares at us and then turns, walking to sit as far away from us as possible. Aragorn walks up to us, taking me from Legolas's arms.

"What happened," Aragorn asks, looking at me to see if I was ok. I nod in reassurement.

"He not only insulted her, but pushed her as well. What is happening to him," Legolas asks.

"It is the ring," I answer in a whisper, all of us looking to Boromir who is sitting with his back to us, "it is polluting his mind."

A/n: Sorry this chapter is a little shorter, but not that bad. At least I don't think. Let me know what you guys think!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!