Chapter 47

***Aragorn POV***

We move through the barren canyon, looking around, alarmed at the coldness of the place.

"What kind of army would linger in such a place," Gimli asks.

"One that is cursed. Long ago the men of the mountains swore an oath to the last King of Gondor to come to his aid, to fight. But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Isildur cursed them, never to rest until they had fulfilled their pledge. Who shall call them from the grey twilight, the forgotten people? The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. From the North shall he come, need shall drive him. He shall pass the door to the Paths of the Dead."

"Can we stop here for a moment," Aleana suddenly asks, "daro Brego [stop, Brego]" She doesn't wait for an answer, stopping the horse and dismounting. We dismount as well, confused, as we face her.

"Everything alright, lass," Gimli asks and we look to her for an answer. She smiles, nodding her head.

"Yes, quite alright. The entrance is close and the horses are tired. Not to mention, they are afraid. I thought it best if we continue the path on foot to avoid the possibility of being thrown off our horses if they spook."

I smile, she was always taking into consideration of the feelings of all living creatures. I nod, taking Brego by the reins and we walk down the path on foot. We approach the entrance to the Paths of the Dead, a strange feeling settling in my heart. Unconsciously I reach for Aleana's hand, taking hold of it and pulling her closer as we walked. She looks at me curiously, but doesn't say a word.

"The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away," Gimli whispers. 

We reach the doors and Legolas reads the inscription above the door.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead and the dead keep it. The way is shut."

A sudden gust of wind comes out of the door towards us at a rush. It spooks the horses, which pull on the reins and run away from us. 

"Brego," I shout after my horse. Gimli looks alarmed and I look over to see Aleana merely peering into the entrance, unfazed. With a smile my way, she walks through the entrance. 

"I do not fear death," I state and follow behind her, myself followed by Legolas and a reluctant Gimli.

I make a torch out of a few branches I find and lead the others, trying not to linger on the many human skulls on the floor. Aleana walks quite close to me, her face and posture composed and I couldn't understand why she was not afraid. 

"Why are you not afraid, Aleana? Even I have a fear within me in these caves," I ask her, my voice barely louder than a whisper.

"I am afraid, I just wish not to show them that," her voice is quieter than mine and she glances at me, "many years ago, when I was younger...well not too young, a couple hundred years old, anyway...father brought me here. We were attacked and I was hurt," she pulls up the sleeve of her right arm and there was a hint of a healed scar, "it would not heal and it was quite painful. Even now sometimes it hurts. So yes, I am afraid, but we need to do this and if I can face Sauron, what is the army of the dead?"

She chuckles, but I notice the slight tremble in her body and I take her hand, reassuring her, and she looks to me with a smile, thanking me. I look back to see Legolas looking around and Gimli looks scared. 

"What is it? What do you see," Gimli asks Legolas.

"I see shapes of men and of horses."

"Where," Gimli looks around with wide eyes.