Chapter 45

***Aragorn POV***

We had reached the encampment a few hours ago and Aleana had dismounted and headed towards the tent that Legolas, Gimli, her, and I would share. I rode with Theoden around camp, observing the number of soldiers we had, only to look back at Grimbold and soldier as they walk up to us.  

"Grimbold, how many," Theoden ask as we stop at the edge of the high encampment and look down at the armies.

"I bring 500 men from the Westfold my lord," Grimbold answers. 

"We have 300 more from Fenmarch, Theoden King," another soldier pitches in.

"Where are the riders from Snowbourn," Theoden asks.

"None have come my lord," the soldier answers quietly.

Both Theoden and I cast our eyes back to the armies below us.

"Six thousand spears, less than half of what I had hoped for," Theoden says. 

"Six thousand will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor," I state, knowing we did not have enough people.

"More will come," Theoden tries to reassure me.

"Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat," I look to Theoden, "we have until dawn then we must ride."

Theoden nods his head in agreement before walking off and I head towards where I see Legolas and Gimli, standing and tending to our horses while Aleana sat beside them. A neighing horse attracts my attention and I notice how much difficulty the men have in calming down the horses that seem to be nervous of something.

I stand beside Aleana who looks up at me with a smile before resting her head on my stomach as I stroked her hair. She was tired as were we all, but the upcoming events kept us from peaceful sleep, not to mention she was also worrying of her father. 

"The horses are restless and the men are quiet," Legolas says.

"They grow nervous in the shadow of the mountain," Aleana answers and we look to see a small cleft through the rocks.

"That road there where does that lead," Gimli asks confused.

"It is the road to the Dimholt, the door under the mountain," Aleana once again answers as Eomer walks up to us, joining in on the conversation.

"None who venture there ever return. That mountain is evil," Eomer states before walking away. My eyes once again focus on the cleft as a man nearby struggles to calm a frightened horse, but it is not that which has gained interest from me. There was a green figure, beckoning me, and I watch it worriedly.

"Aragorn," I jump and look down to see Aleana watching me with concern, "are you alright? Gimli has been calling your name.Come, let's find some food, we're all quite hungry."

She stands, taking my hand and pulling me along behind Gimli and Legolas. I turn to see if the figure was still there, but the cleft was empty. Putting it from my mind, I willingly follow the others in search for some food.

***Aleana POV***

After supper, Aragorn heads somewhere and I look after him in worry. He had been quiet throughout supper and I knew there was much on his mind. I only wished he would share it and not burden it alone, but I also knew that at the moment he needed to be alone. So, I let him be and instead went to find Eowyn.

I see Eowyn coming out of a tent with Merry, who was wearing a helmet and swinging his sword to and fro. I smile at this as Eowyn encourages him to go to the blacksmith to have the sword sharped and he runs off happily.

"You should not encourage him," I am drawn to Eomer's voice who sits around a campfire with Gamling.

"You should not doubt him," Eowyn answers him curtly.

"I do not doubt his heart, only the reach of his arm," he says with a smile and I get upset at his comment as Gamling laughs.

"Why should Merry be left behind? He has as much cause to go to war as you. Why can he not fight for those he loves," Eowyn is angry and she turns to walk away, but Eomer stops her, walking towards her. 

"You know as little of war as that Hobbit. When the fear takes him and the blood and the screams and the horror of battle take hold. Do you think he would stand and fight? He would flee. And he would be right to do so, "he puts a hand on her shoulder, "war is the province of men Eowyn."

He walks away with Gamling and Eowyn glares at his back. Though his comment makes me upset, I can't help myself but smile at Eowyn's expression. I go to stand beside her.

"I cannot believe he just said that, I will have to speak with him," she turns to me, shocked at having me speak to her, "women and hobbits know how to fight just as well as men, sometimes ever betten. Perhaps I should remind him that the Battle of the Five Armies would not have been won had it not been for the courage of one little hobbit.

There is strength and courage in them that others do not so easily see, or wish not to. For the Hobbits of our world are loyal and loving and there is nothing more important than that. Thank you, Eowyn, for encouraging Merry, especially now."

"I wish to fight," she says confidently and I turn to her with a smile.

"I cannot stop you, nor can I ask you to. That is your choice and I will not meddle in it, though I did tell Aragorn otherwise. Yes, you are quite talented with a blade and would make a good soldier. But you have other responsibilities as well, Eowyn. For before you, you have your people, ones you may need to lead and protect one day. Sometimes we must make hard choices, against our wishes, for the better of all."

"The people of Rohan have Uncle and Eomer," she argues.

"Yes, both of whom are going to war. And my dear Eowyn, war gives no promises of who will survive and who will not. May the Valar keep them in his grace, but if anything were happen to them, you would be all that is left to lead these people.

Like I said, the choice is yours, but there is more to being a soldier than just wielding a sword. We must make choices, hard choices, looking at everything around us and that's what makes someone a true soldier and leader. Whatever you decide, Eowyn, may you be always protected under the grace of the Valar. Please think hard before you choose your path, for there will be no turning back once you do so."

She looks to me surprised and I lean forward, placing a sisterly kiss on her forehead before heading away to find Aragorn once more. 

A/n: Hope you like it! Also can't believe I already have so many reads! I really appreciate to all you wonderful people who are reading this and voting and commenting! You are my motivation!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!