Chapter 33

***Aleana POV***

I go back inside the Golden Hall once father leaves to pack the rest of my things. When I am done, I pick up knapsack and head out into the open chamber. From afar I see Eowyn open up a chest and lift out a sword and unsheathe it. She practices swiping up with it and I smile at her. When I had first come here, Eowyn wasn't even born. Five years later she became the life of the Golden Hall with her small cry and beautiful laugh. For me she was a younger sister and I hoped to the Valar that she not experience anymore loss in her life. 

She turns around and her sword meets Aragorn's knife. She looks surprised at him, as do I. I hadn't even seen him walk up behind her, so lost in thought I was. 

"You have some skill with a blade," I hear Aragorn say, the sword and knife still held against each other. 

Eowyn swings her sword round swiftly, releasing it from Aragorn's knife and puts it away.

"Women of this country learned long ago: those without swords can still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain," she answers.

"What do you fear, my lady?"

"A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them. And all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire."

"You're a daughter of kings...a shieldmaiden of Rohan. I do not think that would be your fate," Aragorn turns and walks away. 

I look to Eowyn and see her watching Aragorn with awe, and a slight blush on her cheeks. My eyes widen as I see an emotion arise in her eyes for Aragorn that I did not wish to see. Without another thought, I turn away from her and walk outside to stand beside Legolas and Gimli.

"Are you alright, Aleana," Legolas asks, worry passing his eyes. I bring a smile to my face reluctantly.

"Yes, I think so. I'm sure I am just being silly."

"What is it lass, perhaps we could help," Gimli says and I look to him before sighing and letting my smile fall. 

"I believe Eowyn is developing feelings for Aragorn."

"So yer jealous," Gimli laughs.

"No, I am not jealous. I am not so petty Master Gimli, for I trust Aragorn completely. Thus, I have no need to be jealous," I answer, "anyways, it is Eowyn I worry about. She has lost too many loved ones in her life, I just wish her to not be heartbroken. And Aragorn is kind, unknowingly his words will be taken as more by Eowyn. I know how she is, still too naive and having seen only a small part of this world. She will easily take his kind words as feelings for her. 

I am afraid that if this develops as more, she will feel hopeless when she finds out that he can't return those feelings. I must go tell her that Aragorn and I are together."

"You are together," both Legolas and Gimli ask in surprise and I remember that no one actually knew, except for Boromir. 

"Yes," I whisper, a small smile on my face and a blush rising to my cheeks. 

"Since when," once again both of them speak in sync, surprised. 

"Since we visited my mother and Lord Celeborn. But that is not important right now. I should let Eowyn know, I have to for I cannot let her be hurt."

I turn to leave, but Legolas stops me.

"Wait Aleana," I turn back to him, "perhaps you should speak of this with Aragorn. If you were to tell her together, I think that would be more helpful and in a way that does not make it seem like you know her feelings. That could also end badly."

"You are right, I do not wish her to have any ill feelings with me. She is family and if I was to go tell her directly, she would think as if I was telling her to back off. I do not want that," I look to Legolas and Gimli, "I must go find Aragorn. Thank you both of you."

I turn and run back inside to find Aragorn. After much looking, I see him standing alone, looking out at the fields of Rohan, and smoking his pipe. I place a hand on his shoulder and he turns around. Upon seeing me, he smiles and leans down to kiss me, but I pull away before he can. His smile falls and he looks to me confused.

"Everything alright," he asks.

"Not quite," I answer and he immediately puts away his pipe and turns to me, taking my hands in his.

"Are you alright," his face one of worry and I can't help but smile to see him worry so much for me.

"Yes, I am fine. It is Eowyn that I wish to speak to you about."

"Is Lady Eowyn alright," he asks, now confused.

"Yes, everyone is fine. I was just thinking perhaps we should tell her that we are together."

"I do not have a problem with that," he answers slowly, "but why so sudden, and why now?"

"I think Eowyn is developing feelings for you."

"Are you jealous," he laughs. 

"No, I am not. I am just looking out for Eowyn. She has been through too much heartache in her life, I do not wish more for her. Your kind words may have her thinking that perhaps you feel something for her as well. When she finds out otherwise, she will be crushed."

"Are you saying that I am flirting with her, while I am with you," anger seeps into his words and he lets go of my hands.

"No, not at all Aragorn. Of course not. I am just not wanting her to be hurt. She is naive, unable to understand that your kind words are just kind."

"So now you are calling her slow? Your mother said I shouldn't doubt the love you have for me in your heart for it is true. But here you are doubting my love for you and calling a girl slow only because you are jealous I spoke with her," his voice carries anger. 

"I did not say that Aragorn. Nor do I doubt your love. I am looking out for Eowyn, that is all! I'm not calling her slow, merely naive for she has never been returned the love she has given others. I know her well Aragorn, and I know what your words will mean to her. How could you even think that I could doubt you or be jealous? I have no reason to be so petty," I am angry now. 

"Of course you don't! You can have anyone can't you?! First it was Boromir and now me! Who's next, tell me? Perhaps I should be with Lady Eowyn, she doesn't seem like someone who would suspect me of loving another," he was yelling now. 

"Do not bring Boromir into this! And how dare you say something like that about me! Perhaps you should be with her, I'd like to see her put up with someone so stubborn and foolish as you," I yell right back.

"You know I am glad we had this talk Lady Aleana. It has shown me that I cannot be with someone like you, who only thinks of herself and feelings, thinking all others stupid," he turns and storms off.

The anger in me immediately disappears as his words register in my mind. What had just happened? I had merely suggested that we let Eowyn know our relationship. How did we end up having none at all? Tears gather in my eyes and I let them fall, immediately feeling the ache and loneliness of having Aragorn gone. 

A/n: Don't kill me for making them fight! Hope you like it!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!