Chapter 41

***Aleana POV***

After our little display of affection, everyone had gone back to packing and soon father, Eomer, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Theoden and myself were riding through the forest towards Isengard. I sat with Aragorn once more and though I wish he would talk, or anyone for that matter, no one did. Instead, we all looked around warily. When we finally emerge from the forest, I am surprised to see Isengard in ruins, but it is the distant laughter that truly peeks my interest.

Riding around a corner, my eyes widen when I see Pippin and Merry, sitting and drinking from a mug, most probably ale. A smile spreads across my face as Merry stands.

"Welcome, my lords - and lady- to Isengard!"

"You young rascals," Gimli exclaims, "a merry hunt you've led us on and now we find you feasting and smoking!"

I can't help but laugh, watching the two hobbits enjoying themselves.

"We are sitting on a field of victory enjoying a few well earned comforts," Pippin slurred, "the salted pork is particularly good."

"Salted pork," Gimli asks intrigued.

"Hobbits," father mutters, though I sense the happiness in his voice. Pippin's eyes fall on me and I smile as his signature goofy grin appears on his.

"You two gave us quite a scare, do you know that," I ask.

"We hobbits are exceptionally good at doing so," Pippin boasts and I laugh, shaking my head at him.

"Not every hobbit, my dear Pippin. Just you," I laugh and he smiles back at me. Merry suddenly speaks up.

"We're under orders from Treebeard who's taken over management of Isengard."

"Treebeard," I ask excited and he nods as we ride towards the tower, Pippin sitting with father and Merry sitting with Eomer.

...

As we approach Orthanc, my face lights up as I spot an old friend walking towards us. He sees me as well and turns to me before anyone else.

"My friend Aleana," his voice is slow, but soft, characteristic of an Ent, "it has been too long."

"I have missed you," he leans forward and I place a kiss on his forehead, "it is good to see you well."

He smiles before turning to father.

"Hooom, young Master Gandalf, I'm glad you've come," he says, "wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there is a Wizard to manage here locked in his tower."

We look up at the tower and Aragorn speaks up, "show yourself!"

"Be careful. Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous," father warns.

"Well then let's just have his head and be done with it," Gimli states and I shake my head at him. He was always ready to just take the last step.

"We cannot do that Master Gimli. Lord Saruman has information, we need him alive. We need him to talk," I say to him.

"You have fought many wars and slain many men Theoden King and made peace afterwards," our heads turn upwards at Saruman's voice and see him standing atop the tower, "can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace you and I?"

"We shall have peace," Theoden answers, his voice heavy with grief, "we shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the Westfold and the children that lie dead! We shall have peace when when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows, we shall have peace!"