Chapter 49

***Aleana POV***

After burying the dead and healing the wounded, we all head to the Great Hall of Minas Tirith to speak of our next step. Gimli sits at the small throne beside the large one, reserved for the Steward of Gondor. I sit on steps to the side of the hall, leaning against the pillar, exhausted. Legolas, Aragorn and Eomer stand before father as he speaks.

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight," father walks across the hall, pacing, "the darkness is deepening."

"If Sauron had the Ring we would know it," Aragorn reassures everyone.

"It's only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping," father states.

"Let him stay there! Let him rot! Why should we care," Gimli exclaims.

"Because 10,000 Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom," father tells him and he ponders father's words. 

"I've sent him to his death," father whispers sadly and I am about to speak up, but Aragorn beats me to it. 

"No. There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that," Aragorn says, a knowing look on his face. 

"How," Gimli asks confused. 

"Draw out Sauron's armies," Aragorn continues with a small smile, "empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."

Gimli chokes on his pipe at Aragorn's suggestion. 

"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms," Eomer intervenes.

"Not for ourselves. But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves," Aragorn answers.

"A diversion," Legolas says in awe, understanding the plan. 

"Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for," Gimli says and I find a small smile find it's way on my lips. 

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait," father objects and the others look around, not realizing this flaw. It is then that an idea springs to my mind and I stand, moving to stand in front of father. 

"Oh, I think he will," I say with a smile and everyone looks to me confused, "there is a way to keep him distracted long enough. He is in that tower, watching over Middle Earth with his eye, and if you all can put your life on the line to draw his attention, then so can I. I will go to him, keep his attention on me, not letting him use the eye to see anything."

"NO," I turn around and see Aragorn glaring at me, "you will do no such thing. In fact, you're not even coming to the battle with us."

I narrow my eyes at him, before turning to the others, "can you all give us a moment?"

They nod and walk out of the Great Hall. Father is the last to leave and he turns to me at the last moment, looking down at me sadly.

"Whatever your decision, my child, I will accept. But, please think very carefully of what it is you want. You are exceptionally brave, Aleana, that you get from your mother."

I nod with a sad smile and he leaves reluctantly, closing the doors behind him. I look to the doors for a few seconds, before turning around and walking up to Aragorn. His angry gaze was at the floor and I smile, my eyes filling with tears, but I do not let them fall as I take his face in my hands and bring it up to gaze into his eyes. They were also glazed over with unshed tears and I swallow the knot in my throat before speaking.