Chapter 43

***Aragorn POV***

As soon as the sky darkens, the soldiers head back to their homes while we retire to our rooms. I do not catch a glimpse of Aleana while we leave nor do I find her in her room. I walk outside to enjoy the night, quite sure she was with Lady Eowyn, filling my pipe when I spot two hooded figures standing on the corner, looking out at the distance.

I move towards them, realizing it is Aleana and Legolas, and stand beside Aleana. Her hand falls down to mine, intertwining our fingers.

"The stars are veiled," Legolas glances at me, "something stirs in the East, a sleepless malice. The eye of the enemy is moving."

"I feel it too Legolas," Aleana sighs, placing her head on my shoulder, "why is that evil never rests? It is always clawing it's way into the light, trying to destroy all that is good. Would it not be wonderful to be rid of it forever?"

"All things require balance, Aleana," Legolas answers, "even good and evil. Too much of one thing results in chaos."

"Hmmm," Aleana moves closer to me as a cold breeze blows through the air. We are looking out at the stars when suddenly Aleana falls to the ground, clutching her head in agony.

"He is here," Legolas turns and I quickly help Aleana to her feet before running inside. Aleana stumbles, but I drag her along towards the noises, trying to make sure she doesn't fall.

We burst into the room where lay Gandalf, Pippin, Merry and Gimli, to see Pippin on the floor struggling with the Palantir. He is writhing in pain and I let Aleana crumble to the floor against the door before rushing forward and taking the Palantir from Pippin.

Pain grips me as soon as the Palantir is in my grasp and I struggle with it briefly before letting it drop to the floor. It rolls away from us and Gandalf runs after it, throwing a blanket over it. I look to Aleana and see her breathing normally, her eyes wide in fear as she crawls towards Pippin who is still lying on the floor, looking to him in worry.

I notice Aleana doesn't touch him as Gandalf rushes beside him as well. He holds Pippin's hand and puts his other hand on his forehead. He mutters something under his breath and moves his hand to Pippin's cheek. Pippin jumps, gasps and wakes up.

"Look at me," Gandalf says and Pippin closes his eyes.

"Gandalf, forgive me," he cries out in fear and regret.

"Look at me," Gandalf is more forceful, "what did you see?"

"A tree, there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone," Pippin finally speaks, his voice shaking "It was dead. The city was burning."

"Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw," Gandalf asks.

"I saw...I saw him," Pippin cries and our eyes widen as Aleana moves to take his other hand, "I could hear his voice in my head."

"And what did you tell him? Speak!"

"Father, gently," Aleana whispers but Gandalf ignores her.

"He asked me my name. I didn't answer. He hurt me," at this Aleana pulls him from Gandalf, holding him in her arms trying to comfort him. Anger rises in me as I realize that even though he did not stand before us, he still had hurt us.

"What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring," Gandalf asks.

Pippin just looks at Gandalf's face as we all look to him. Even Aleana turns her gaze down to him, looking so intently at Pippin, as if she was trying to read his mind. Pippin doesn't answer, just closes his eyes. Aleana looks up with a small smile towards us, meeting her father's gaze.