Chapter 31

***Aleana POV***

We ride across the plains of Rohan, myself sitting with Aragorn. One of his hands rested across my stomach, the other holding the reigns. He had been happy since this morning and when I had asked him, he said I would find out from father. We suddenly stop and look up to see Edoras. 

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld," father says, "there dwells Theoden, King of Rohan...whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong."

"But you will be able to help him, right father," I ask and he looks back at me.

"Let us hope so."

We start riding towards the gates of Edoras. As we reach the outside gates, a flag floats down, landing down beside us. I look up to see Eowyn standing outside the Golden Hall, her eyes trained on us. When we enter into Edoras, everyone is solemn and quiet.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard," Gimli mutters, and I can't help but agree with him. We stop at the steps, dismounting and climbing them up towards the Golden Hall. We are stopped by some guards at the entrance.

"I cannot allow you before Theoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Grima Wormtongue," he spits out the name as if disgusted. Father nods to us and we begin removing our weapons. I am struggling with my sword belt, it was stuck. I pull at it, but it refuses to budge. Suddenly hands are at the belt and a body close to mine. I look up to see a menacing guard smirking down at me, his hands roaming subtly. I push at his hands angrily, stepping away.

"I can do it myself, thank you very much," I say curtly before trying to untie the belt again with no luck. Once again the guard gets close to me and I try to push away his hand, but this time he doesn't budge, his grip tight on my waist. Before I can do anything, Aragorn pushes him away angrily. 

"I will help her," Aragorn seethes before turning to me and helping me out of the belt. He ended up having to cut it, the belt somehow not coming off. We turn to head in when the first guard stops us again. 

"Your staff," he says to father, holding out his hand to take it.

"Hmmm...you would not part an old man from his walking stick," father asks innocently and I can't help the small smile that finds its way on my lips. 

The guard looks worried for a moment, but then turns and leads us inside. Father turns and winks slyly to Aragorn and I and I shake my head at him, unable to stop my smile. When we enter we see who I believe is Grima, sitting beside Theoden. He is whispering something into Theoden's ear. 

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Theoden King," father says. 

"Why should I welcome you," Theoden replies, looking to Grima for agreement. Grima stands and moves towards father, standing before him. 

"A just question, my liege. Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear," a menacing group of guards move near to us, led by the handsy guard as Grima continues speaking, "lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest."

I narrow my eyes at him, anger festering within me at his words. 

"Be silent," father says angrily, "keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm."

Father lifts his staff in front of Grima's face who draws back in fear and shock.

"His staff. I told you to take the wizard's staff!"

Suddenly the group of guards attack us. The man from before grabs my arm and pulls me to him, turning me so my back hits a pillar, his body close to mine. Anger rises in me and I bring up my knee into his stomach. He doubles over in pain and shock and I use the time to connect my fist with his jaw. He cries out in pain, clutching his jaw and stumbling back. Twirling around, I let my leg come in contact with the side of his head, sending him to the ground. Then I get on top of him, making him look at me. 

"Do not even think about touching me again," and I bring my fist back and towards his face, stopping just a pinch away from his face. His eyes roll back and he faints of fear and I get off him. When I stand and turn I realize that everyone's eyes were trained on me in silent awe. Somehow Theoden was younger, having turned back to his previous self. Eowyn sat beside him and they were both looking at me wide-eyed as well. 

I couldn't believe I had completely missed everything that had passed. My eyes find Aragorn and he is looking at me with a small smile, pride flashing in his eyes. I just smile back before moving to stand beside father, in front of King Theoden. I bow my head in respect.

"It is good to see you looking well again Uncle Theoden," I smile at him, and he laughs, opening his arms and I move towards him, allowing myself to be enveloped in his hug. I pull away to see Eowyn smiling at me, tears in her eyes and I grab her hand, returning the smile. 

The first guard, Hama steps forward and hands Uncle Theoden his sword. Theoden rise and Eowyn and I move to stand on either side of him as he takes the sword from Hama. He looks at it wonderingly as we all smile. Then he seems to remember something and his gaze falls to the floor. I follow it and see it rests upon Grima who is being held on the floor by Gimli. Theoden moves forward, ordering Hama to throw Grima out. 

Hama throws Grima out of the hall, who falls down the stairs. Theoden walks falteringly down the stairs towards him as we stand on the top of the steps, watching. 

"I've only ever served you, my lord," Grima grovels, crawling backwards on his hands.

"Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast," Theoden shouts, continuing to advance on him. 

"Send me not from your sight," Grima begs and Theoden raises his sword above Grima's head, ready to kill him. Suddenly Aragorn rushes forwards, holding Theoden's hand to stop him. I let go of the breath I did not know I was holding. 

"No, my lord," Aragorn says to Theoden, "enough blood has been spilt on his account."

Theoden reluctantly puts down his sword as Aragorn turns to Grima. Aragorn offers him his hand, but Grima just spits on it, scrambling to his feet and pushing past the people out of Edoras. We watch him go. When he has vanished from out sight, Hama turns to the people.

"Hail, Theoden King," he says and the people in the city kneel before Theoden as do those from the Great Hall. Aragorn kneels at Theoden's side while I bow my head in respect as Theoden turns back to look at us. His next question has me looking up in confusion.

"Where is Theodred? Where is my son?'

A/n: Hope you liked this chapter! Isn't Aleana awesome! I am really bad at writing cool fighting scenes so I hope it worked. 

Comment and vote!

Thank you!