Chapter 17

***Aragorn POV***

We had moved into Elrond's chambers so as no one would overhear our conversation. Aleana sat beside me, a warm cup of tea in hand to calm her nerves. I had my hand on her back, rubbing it soothingly as she looked to Elrond sitting across from us. Gandalf stood by the window, looking out into the night sky as he told us of Aleana's past. 

"When you were merely twenty, Sauron took you hoping to make you his wife, the Queen of Mordor. He was coming into power at the time, and your powers intrigued him so much so that he wished to have the for himself. He tortured you, tried to brainwash you into loving him and helping him in his evil plans, but you were strong-willed and did not do so.

It was then he decided to create the rings. He first started with the others, giving them across Middle Earth. And then he forged the One. He did so by combining your and his blood, creating the ultimate ring of destruction. 

At that time Lord Elrond and Isildur joined forces to defeat him, and defeat they did. Lord Elrond saved you and brought you back to me, but the ring had survived, and if ever worn by you or Sauron, it would spread such darkness throughout Middle-Earth, the likes of none which we've seen."

"But why is it I don't have any memory of this," Aleana asks and Lord Elrond answers. 

"When I brought you back from Mordor, you were broken, hurt perhaps beyond repair. Though you fought him, it took a lot out of you mentally and so Gandalf and I decided it best if you had no memory of what had happened. 

So, with the help of Elvish medicine and Gandalf's powers, we were able to hide those traumatic memories deep within your mind and you returned to the same Aleana as before."

"That is why you have a connection with the Ring," Gandalf turns to face us, "as Sauron gains power, through the power of the Ring he is able to communicate with you and even hurt you. That incantation on your arm, he can't destroy your powers, but he has halted them in a way. The only way you can receive back your powers is with the destruction of the Ring."

"Is it safe for me to go on this journey," Aleana asks looking heartbroken, "I do not want to put anyone I love in danger."

Gandalf smiles sadly and moves to her, taking her hands in his and making her stand.

"You are not evil my child, but through you Sauron can gain power. But as long as you not let your heart stray and keep away from the Ring, he can only do so much. Do know this though, I can help you if he hurts you physically, but you are about to fight a battle with yourself as you are pulled two ways. Do not let the darkness win Aleana."

She nods, looking down to the ground in sadness. Gandalf pulls her in for a hug, holding his child in his arms. 

"You must let her know the danger of destroying the Ring," Lord Elrond speaks up and I look to him in confusion as Gandalf and Aleana pull away, looking to him as well. Gandalf looks truly heartbroken as he turns back to Aleana.

"What does he mean father?" Gandalf sighs before answering.

"Destroying the Ring can have consequences, for you because it has been forged by your blood. Just as it can destroy Sauron, it can destroy you as well. At the least you may only lose your powers or immortality. But at the worst, you may lose your life."

Aleana looks up at him in shock as do I. I didn't know Aleana too well, but since she came into my life since that inn, I could not imagine her ever being hurt. It hurt and angered me to think that any harm could befall on her and my heart strove to protect her. But how could I protect her when our very mission could mean the end of her if we prevail, or the end of the world if we fail?

"I will understand if you do not want to go on this quest, Aleana, for it is not easy to walk towards death. But, and though it pains me to say this, we must go through with this plan, for all lives are at stake here."

At that moment a most shocking thing happened for Aleana took her father's face in her hands as he looked down sadly, and smiled up at him.

"Father, do you not know me? I would never think or believe that my life is worth more than anyone else's in this world. I do not fear death father, and I will help Frodo destroy that Ring, for the good in this world is worth so much more than one life. I will be fine, and you will see that we will be victorious."

He smiles down at her sadly before placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Go rest now child, we must wake up early tomorrow and we all need our bearings for the path that we are set on is no easy one."

She nods and bows respectfully to Lord Elrond before heading out. I bow to both Elrond and Gandalf and follow behind her. She walked towards her room and I take her hand as I walk beside her. Her eyes turn to me and I give her a small smile, though I know there is sadness behind it and she can tell.

"Do not fret Aragorn, for it is not sure that I will lose more than anything except a part of who I am. And as long as I breathe, I will hope and I ask you do the same."

We reach her room and she stops outside, turning to me and taking my hands in her's, looking up at me with a small, but genuine smile. 

"The other night you thanked me for listening to you, for being there. Now I must do the same, for if I was honest with myself, I don't think I'd be able to shoulder this if not you standing by my side. Thank you Aragorn, son of Arathorn, for being the hope in my life that I desperately need at the moment." 

With that she leans up and places a gentle kiss on my cheek, before turning around and heading into her chambers. Just before closing her door, she turns around to face me once more.

"Go now Aragorn and rest as best as you can, for I believe this is the last peaceful night we will get for some time."

I nod as she closes her door and I turn to head back into my own chambers, feeling emotions rise in me that I had not felt since the first time I met Arwen. Though I refused to admit it at the time, I knew I was slowly falling in love with Aleana. 

A/n: A little short chapter, I think, but at least we now know what is up with Aleana! Also just to clarify she is quite old because she is immortal, but to our eyes she'd only look to be in her thirties at the most, kind of like how Arwen is. Also Aragorn knows he's falling in love with her! Oh yeah!! Well, really hope you liked it.

Comment and vote!

Thank you!