Chapter 30

***Aleana POV***

Father tells us how he defeated the Balrog and what occured after. I stay stuck to his side, my arms around him, as if I let go he would disappear. One of his arms sat around my shoulder as he spoke. 

"I've been sent back, until my task is done," he says, "I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now...at the turn of the tide."

"Do you have my grey cloak," father turns to me, and I nod, taking it out and handing it to him. He wears it before ushering us through the forest. I walk behind him, Aragorn beside me. Gimli and Legolas walk behind us as father continues telling us what we need to do.

"One stage of your journey is over," he says, "another begins. We must travel to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras," Gimli asks in surprise, "that is no short distance."

"We met Eomer, father. There is trouble in Rohan."

"It goes ill with the king," Aragorn says and Gandalf casts a glance at us before continuing walking.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured," father answers. 

"Then we have run all this way for nothing," Gimli asks, "are we to leave those poor Hobbits here...in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested," the trees groan and GImli immediately stops, "I mean, charming...quite charming forest."

I laugh as father suddenly halts, us all stopping behind him as he turns around and faces us.

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones...that starts an avalanche in the mountains."

"It one thing you have not changed, dear friend," Aragorn says and father looks at him curious, "you still speak in riddles."

We all laugh, even father. Then he looks to us with a knowing smile.

"A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up...and find they are strong."

"They will wake up," I ask excited, remembering when I was a little kid I used to speak with them, riding on their shoulders, "it seems Merry and Pippin were meant to come on this journey. Isn't it wonderful father? How the smallest person can create such a difference."

"Yes it is my child. The Hobbits are shaping our world with each step," he says smiling down at me before turning around and walking out the forest, "come now, we must hurry."

We step outside of the forest and Aragorn and Legolas bring over our horses. Father whistles a long high whistle and from the distance a great white horse comes galloping towards us. My eyes widen as I recognize him.

"That is one of the Mearas," Legolas exclaims surprised, "unless my eyes are cheated by some spell."

"No they are not Legolas," I say breathless as he comes to stop before us. We bow to him, father stroking his head and I run forth, throwing my arms around his neck. He nickers happily and I mutter against his hide.

"Nae saian luume' Mellonamin [it has been too long my friend]," I whisper to him and he licks my ear causing me to laugh and place a kiss on his forehead. 

"Shadowfax," father says, "he is the lord of all horses, and has been a friend to us through many dangers. His foal, Akela, is the protector of Aleana."

"I dare not call her though father, she has never seen battle, and I would not like to show her."

Father nods in understanding as he mounts Shadowfax.