Sudden encounter

Evelyn's Pov

This party was fancy, but it wasn't someplace I'd fit in. The crowd was full of rich people. I didn't even have an identity. I had an anonymous father, an evil mother, and a title 'whore' prefixed on my name. I wonder why Arnold was helping me, knowing who I actually was, and which community I truly belong to.

Sandra was a sweetheart. She stayed by my side throughout. I doubt the story she told us regarding his boyfriend, Alistair. I noted him in the whole of the party. He had eyes only for Sandra. Maybe, she had misconceptions that should be corrected by someone. "Sandra?"

"Mmhmm?" she choked on coke when all of a sudden I said her name.

"Alistair's a nice man. I don't think he can ever cheat on you", I tightened my lips and looked away. I didn't want her to form an opinion that I was interfering in her life.

She smiled as she looked at me, her face dug in the giant glass of her drink. It didn't seem like she was sipping on the soft drink lately, it was definitely a hard one. "I know. I had a misconception earlier. I'm glad that because of it, I made a new friend today", she side hugged me, as she pushed her body in my direction.

"Me too", I honestly replied.

"Did we interrupt some girl-to-girl talk?" Alistair and Arnold came towards us. Alistair had his hands curled around Arnold's shoulder. Sandra uplifted herself and threw herself on Alistair. He pecked her softly on her lips. They literally looked so cute together.

I separated myself away from them, in order to give them some private space. Arnold followed me. He held me by my wrist, because of which I had to turn around, as my walking speed was ceased by him. He pulled me closer, towards him. I got carried away, in his direction, our body was inches apart.

My hand rested on his chest, I gasped as I waited for him to interrupt the silence. He didn't speak, and I didn't utter a word from my mouth either. The silence between us felt like everything. Sometimes, you don't require words to do the talking, sometimes eyes are enough.

"What if I ask for a dance?" he interrogated.

"I'll say a yes then", I chuckled. He propelled his hand, so I quickly placed my hand in his and allowed him to escort me towards the floor. He took the lead, and I followed him to the floor. The music was slow. It felt like someone was playing the violin. When I turned my head, I located the person who was doing the same.

I curled my hands around his neck. He grasped me closer to him through my back. I gasped at his instant reaction. He smiled slightly, as he moved his hands over my back slowly. My breaths were faster than normal. I've never felt the emotion I was feeling lately. I so wanted to deny it, ignore it, but damn, every time my eyes encountered his face, all the feelings came rushing in.

We swayed our feet according to the music, which hit our ears. Arnold moved his feet in synchronization with mine. He was a good dancer, a real good one. This was the actual first time I was dancing with a man. The only people I have couple danced with, in my life, were Hannah and Allie.

The music was slow, calm, and relaxing. I could keep dancing if the night didn't have to end. I looked straight into his eyes, which were truly focused on mine. It seemed like I could feel the intensity in his eyes like he was hiding something from me. He slowly intertwined his fingers with mine and turned me around. I allowed him to take the lead and danced according to it.

I curled around, my back pushed against his chest and stomach. We swayed our feet, in accordance with the music. No one amongst us stopped, the music changed and so did the people we accompanied on the dance floor. We were constant, for the continuous three songs that the violinist played.