Lightweight?

Alistair's Pov

She took a further step, without considering my presence like it was completely irrelevant. She didn't even look me in my eyes. She ignored me as she walked past by. I gathered all my courage and held her through her wrist. She was pulled back through my force, as she was weak in strength as compared to me. I wanted her to face me, to talk to me, to rant at me.

I let go of her hand when she faced me. She was yet reluctant towards looking me in the eye. I slowly rested my palms on her shoulders and tried to calm everything down, precisely trying to cover my blunt behavior. "Evely----"

"I just need some time alone Arnold. I'm not mad at you. Okay?" she drew herself away from me. I watched her back as she walked. Within a while, she disappeared into the crowd. I just hoped that she was accompanied by Sandra.

I turned around and walked towards the drinks counter, where I spotted Amanda. I knew that the woman on behalf of whom the party was thrown was Amanda. I just had no idea that she was Amanda Waters. "Oh, my Lord, Al", she pulled me closer into a hug. I hugged her back. It was really nice to meet her, and find out that she was the one for my best friend. It was just hard to believe because she and Aaron were two sides of a coin. Amanda was well known for her clumsy behavior in the summer camp, which we attended some years back. Everything she tried doing, would end up into a totally different thing, in a devastating way, of course.

"So you're the birthday girl, on whom my friend is head over heels", I exaggerated the word 'the'.

"And you're his friend too. Such a coincidence, by the way, that woman was with you?"

"Yeah, oh my, God, I totally forgot about her", I turned back on remembering about Evelyn. I knew that she was mad at me, though she said that she wasn't, "Oh no, I got to find her. I messed it", I started moving away.

"She's a keeper, don't forget", she shouted from behind. I mouthed a, 'I know' and went in the same direction as Evelyn. I tried locating her face in the crowd but I couldn't find her.

My behavior was extremely odd. I should've had control over my emotions when I spotted my father with her mom earlier, but it felt wrong. Everything felt wrong. Somewhere I knew that my father wasn't a saint, but I also didn't expect him to do something so shameful. He may/ may not be trading girls with Humpty Dumpty. I had to find out everything. All types of questions, positive as well as negative, kept popping in my head, leading to a headache.

On spotting Aaron, in the crowd, I rushed towards him. Maybe, he could be a connecting link to the truth. "Aaron, we need to talk", I curled my right hand around his neck and separated him from the people he was talking with. "I'll be right back", he nodded his head towards the people he was previously corresponding with, as he spaced himself out from the group.

"What's wrong?" he questioned puzzled.

"Did you invite my father too?"

"Yeah, I did. He was in the city for a business meeting, so he came to pay me a visit a while back. So, I invited him to the party too. Is that a problem?" he arched his brows as he questioned me back.

"No, not at all, absolutely not", I surrendered my hands in the air, and fake smiled. I was getting quite impatient, but I wanted answers.

I rubbed my forehead, and questioned him further "Did you invite the woman he came along with, too?"

He smirked, as he buttoned his coat. "I didn't invite the woman. Seems like father and son are very alike", I could sense the sarcasm in his tone. He clearly compared me with my father, as I brought Evelyn along with me, without an invitation. No, his sarcasm wasn't something to be offended of. He breathed it, and everyone was used to it. After having a conversation with Aaron, I was pretty sure about one thing, he didn't invite Evelyn's mother and he also had no idea about her. "One last question, can I?" I continued.