11 - His Mate

"Master?"

The chef was visibly trembling with fear, resembling a fragile leaf in a gust of wind. It was understandable considering the intensity of Ryan's gaze, which had an unmistakable hint of rage in his bloodshot eyes. The way he looked was eerily similar to that of a wild beast, leaving me astounded. I wonder if vampires undergo a transformation in their eye color when their anger reaches its peak. However, I couldn't determine the specific reason behind his agitation. There was no secret conspiracy unfolding behind his back that would justify his extreme reaction. It made me contemplate the level of fear he instilled in others. Unfortunately, due to my insatiable curiosity, this werewolf would bear the brunt of punishment. Nevertheless, I was determined not to let that injustice occur.

"Actually, it's my fault. I demanded answers from him."

As our eyes locked, I instinctively took a step forward, physically inserting myself as a barrier between him and his intended prey. The bewildering truth was that despite the mystery surrounding my abduction, I had come to realize, over the course of a full week with them, that they held no intention of killing me. Call it naivety or desperate optimism, but there was an undeniable connection between Ryan and me that surpassed the façade he now wore so menacingly. However, as his eyes turned cold and unfeeling, I couldn't help but wonder if the moment we shared a week ago was even real.

"What answers?"

Ryan's demeanor seemed to transcend anger and border on ferocity as he emanated an almost primal growl, leaving no doubt that his emotions were raging within him, and it was evident that he was meticulously scrutinizing every word before he spoke them. Is he that angry? In that instance, I realized that I appeared feeble, and the feeling vexed me deeply. Despite my adeptness at concealing my true feelings, Ryan's presence somehow managed to unmask the raw and unfiltered version of myself that I rarely allowed others to witness.

"Answers that you guys are not willing to tell me."

I yelled as frustration swelled within me, an unexpected surge of fear gripping my insides. I was scared by his wild, predatory stance, and it forced me to confront the stark reality that had eluded me until that terrifying moment. All this while, not a single one among them had ever revealed their true nature, skillfully cloaking their immortal identity in a deceptive human guise, save for their strength and speed. Perhaps that's precisely why I blissfully slept each night, naively lowering my guard. This unsettling revelation pierced the base of my sense of security, exposing my vulnerability as never before. Ryan did not move from his spot, but I could say that my rude behavior was getting on his nerves. More than my safety, I was worried about the werewolf behind me. I didn't want anyone to get hurt because of me.

"Do not get yourself into trouble by asking unnecessary questions. You are pushing your boundaries, and I will not tolerate it next time."

I stared into his eyes, a surge of disbelief washing over me. Is he even serious? However, unexpectedly, his comment about boundaries had the opposite effect on me. It dissolved the fear that had clutched at my heart, leaving nothing but wisps of smoke in its wake. My breath hitched, heavy with the weight of my seething rage, as I struggled to contain the tempest that threatened to consume me. With a derisive scoff, I glared at him.

"You seriously think I am going to be quiet after some blood-sucking vampires kidnap me? Just because you give me expensive things, am I to forget the fact that I don't belong here? I have a life, dude. Get it inside that thick skull of yours. I was putting up with you because everyone was treating me nicely, but I can't anymore. I want to go back to my family."

I snapped at him, momentarily proud of the composed manner in which I handled the situation. It was a development from my usual tendency to throw tantrums. Surprisingly, my words carried an air of maturity even as I spoke them. However, any trace of optimism within me was extinguished in an instant by his sinister grin. If I had thought Ryan appeared wild and untamed before, it paled in comparison to his current state. His eyes emitted a frightening crimson glow, and I heard the chef cursing under his breath. Ryan advanced toward me with deliberate, slow steps, causing a frigid chill to grip my very core.