14 - Do Not Hurt Her

"What nonsense are you talking about?"

I yelled at him, not understanding a thing. My grandfather? Was he being delusional? I am not a person to cuss normally, but what he said now made zero sense, and I was really tempted to curse out loud.

"I am not spewing nonsense, and he knows that."

Ryan kept up his cool stance while turning in the old man's direction. I had no words to form and stood there helplessly.

"Aren't you happy to meet your granddaughter, Alex?"

The alleged Alex snarled in frustration. Tell him he was wrong. Tell him that a mere human cannot be his grandchild. I was desperate to hear those words, but my wish never came true.

"So the news was true. My daughter indeed has a child."

What the heck is going on here? I am his daughter's child. But how? My mother died, and I lived my entire life with her parents. And now he is my grandfather?

"Of course. Whoever gave you the news was honest. And believe me when I say that your man will be punished for spying in our realm. Adrian?"

Ryan called out loudly, and, pushing past the small crowd that was forming, Adrian entered with a small girl who was handcuffed. How can they do such a thing to a child? Those little blue eyes were pleading for release.

"You wouldn't."

Alex warned, his eyes darting between Ryan and the kid.

"See with your own eyes."

The vampire was grinning evilly. I haven't seen this side of him yet—the side of malice. It was even worse than how he hurt me with his words. Because back then, his eyes were red, proving that he was angry. But now it was the same. He wasn't furious, and that just told me that this was the real Ryan. He took a knife from one of the guards and placed it near the girl's chest. Shit!

"You may be able to protect the traitor, but not his daughter."

He moved the knife from her chest and moved it to the collar bone before making a small cut in the flesh. The child's cry echoed in my ears, and, terrified, I watched fresh blood drip down the wound. Why was no one reacting? I stood like a stone, unable to move. My brain wasn't functioning properly as my fingers started shaking.

"Next is you. But watch her die first."

Ryan smirked at Alex, pointing at the dagger. Without waiting further, Alex pushed everybody hard and rushed to the backwoods, thundering like a frantic, wild monster.

"SHE IS OURS!"

With that, he disappeared. What about the girl? Ryan remained there unfazed, as if he expected it already.

"Let's finish it."

He hummed, and I knew that he was going to slit her neck. My instincts kicked in, and I screamed, attracting everyone's attention. I do not know what got into me, but I was no longer trembling in fear.

"Do not touch her."

This person was not me. My voice felt so alien. So deep. It was as if I were possessed.

"And what if I do?"

Ryan challenged me, but I noticed some strange emotion flickering in his eyes. He pressed the edge of the blade a little more, creating another mark on the kid.

"Watch me."

I placed the dagger, which had been with me all this time, on my left wrist.

"You know you can't do that."