25 - Complicated Life

No one said anything. Not even Ryan. This was supposed to be a secret hideout, not a venue where 'unwanted guests' were to be welcomed.

"Come on, boys, loosen up a little."

The voice was foreign to me as well as the owner of it, who was currently standing in front of us. But from his looks, I am quite sure that he is enjoying the situation right now. He was taller than Adrian and Sid, but shorter than Ryan and the werewolf. And yet, his eyes were lifeless, as though he had witnessed all the horrible things that took place in this world and was no longer scared of anyone or anything. Ryan repositioned his right foot, evidently displeased by the new comer's presence.

"James."

Ryan addressed him with a stiff nod.

"Hello dude, what's up?"

James asked to an irritated-looking Adrian, who didn't respond to him in return. Of course, he was a loyal friend. And it seems that even James didn't anticipate any answer from him as he moved on to the next person without even frowning at the hostility.

"Hey, hottie. You bear an uncanny resemblance with somebody I know."

Helena's cheeks began to flush noticeably, causing Sid to go green with envy.

"It's me, James, Helena."

She said, a pink shade crawling at the side of her neck.

"Holy heavens. I never knew glow ups were possible for witches. Your ex-boyfriend must be furious at himself for throwing you away. Don't you think so, Sid?"

That was unexpected. Good thing James couldn't see Sid's facial expression, otherwise he would have realised how deeply his remarks had impacted Sid. His complexion has turned bright red, his emotions a jumble of wrath and despair.

"You don't have to bother yourself with my personal affairs, James. I'm sure you have plenty of other amusements."

Sid grumbled under his breath, while James simply shrugged, still grinning like a jackass. Even Helena looked disturbed by the unforeseen question, as she glanced everywhere save for James and Sid.

Next, it was my turn. My pulse rate skyrocketed as I anticipated what he might say with regard to me and how Ryan would respond. I am confident if he makes a bad statement about me, he will suffer horribly, because Ryan was hurling daggers at him with his eyes as James gradually narrowed the distance between us.

"Look at what we've got here. I assumed she was a high school student, but turns out she is one hell of a...."

"DON'T!"

The warning came out a lot more like chorus than from a single guy. One of them was unsurprisingly Ryan, and the second was...... Cole?"

The good looking werewolf was already positioned next to the sofa, his fingers clenched into a fist. Ryan replicated the same stance, although his irises were now crimson, and it darted between James and Cole. Great, I am really going to enjoy this trip with these two.

"Well, well... This reminds me of two love-sick teenage boys squabbling over a single female. So melodramatic, so cliche..."

Completely disregarding the threat signs of two formidable creatures, James neared me with an intrigued smirk.

"And yet she's worth the struggle."

His breath tickled my forehead, blatantly invading into my personal bubble. Unlike Ryan's, James' proximity kept giving me a queasy sensation. Suddenly, I felt sick to my guts.

"You've been smoking."

I flatly stated, scrunching my nose in displeasure. I absolutely detest smokers. My skilled nasal organs could detect one even from a long distance.