13 - The Unexpected

As I entered the room, I could feel the magnitude of their stares, their eyes fixed on me with a mixture of apprehension and curiosity. Slowly, their features softened upon seeing me, as if trying to make sense of the unexpected personality in their midst. What did they think? That I was a monster? How ironic, considering they were the immortal ones here.

"We thought you were Diana."

One of them muttered under her breath, her palm fervently pressed against her probably racing heart. They appeared to be in their early twenties, their faces etched with traces of youth, yet I knew deep down that I could never actually calculate their ages.

"Who is Diana?"

I asked curiously, walking to their kitchen station.

"The head here, after that werewolf."

The other girl stated, rolling her eyes dramatically. Werewolf? I think they meant him.

"Oh, Nathan?"

I suggested, standing opposite them, with the counter separating us.

"Oh, you know him already?"

The same girl spoke again, but this time in astonishment and I nodded my head, smiling. Of course from what I have heard, Nathan was infamously famous for being a loner and a newcomer like me already meeting him must be a big deal. I should see him and thank him properly for being nice to me before. That's the least I could do. 

"Yeah, he's my friend."

I declared, and their bewildered expressions made it seem as if my sanity had suddenly taken an unannounced vacation. Then they mumbled a 'whatever'. I watched in amusement as one of them began assembling a salad for me, as if I were a helpless child incapable of creating a simple meal. While I insisted on preparing my own food, they declined and the other girl carried on with her work of peeling a basket of white onions, surreptitiously stealing glances in my direction. Yesterday, my attempts at socializing had fallen flat, but today was a different story altogether.

"So, what are your names?"

I asked, trying to strike up a conversation.

"Rosalie."

The young girl behind the counter, who was expertly crafting my salad, introduced herself and I took the chance to study her. Her petite frame, adorned with luscious brunette locks and a flawless fair complexion, made her appear nothing more than a regular human, even though she was definitely a vampire. Her radiant smile put anyone at ease and I, too, was attracted by her innocent charm.

"Eva."

It was the other girl. It wasn't just her striking appearance that caught my eye, but an aura of confidence seemed to radiate from her very being. With her towering height and a complexion that seemed kissed by the sun, she effortlessly commanded attention wherever she went. When she spoke, her voice resonated with a wisdom that belied her youthful façade.

"Don't you want to know my name?"

Rosalie burst out into a raucous fit of giggles. Her laughter was infectious, filling the room with a vibrant energy. Eva had a small upward twitch on her lips as well. Rosalie pushed the plate of greens towards me, shaking her head in gentle disbelief.

"Of course, we all know your name. Everybody's talking about how fortunate you are to be Master's mate."

As the name slipped through their lips, a wave of unease washed over me, causing my once radiant smile to dissipate into thin air in an instant. It was as if a dark cloud had descended upon the room, casting a somber shadow over my previously joyous demeanor. The mere mention of his name was enough to trigger a flood of memories, and I found myself unable to disguise the sudden shift in my emotions.