16 - First mystery

"Are you seriously going to tell me?"

I asked, not able to believe my own ears. He was finally going to give me answers. Maybe it wasn't a waste of time coming here.

"You should know it one day or the other."

He's right. If I were his mate, something that I am coming to terms with, I should know everything about him and this world. Oh, I am so excited.

"But you have to come with me."

His voice sounded so serious all of a sudden, and he began moving towards the door.

"Where?"

I inquired, already following him out of the room. I didn't even think about whether it was safe to go with him, and that too in the middle of the night. All I had was a feeling of security. I feel safe when he is near me. Possibly, that is the impact of being mates.

"I asked, 'Where are we going?'"

I whisper yelled at him while climbing down the stairs quietly. I had to be very careful when taking the next step, but he seemed to be doing perfectly fine without making a single sound. How is that even possible?

"Somewhere we are forbidden."

Ryan wasn't whispering like me, but his voice was low.

"What do you mean by forbidden?"

I insisted, irritated that he was not giving me the full details. I knew he liked to be a male chauvinist, but can't he at least tell me where we are heading?

"A place where we are not permitted to visit."

I sighed weakly. Am I talking to a living thing or Google?

"I know what the definition of 'forbidden' is. I mean, where is this place? And why are we going there?"

Was he pulling a prank on me? He better not, for the safety of his manhood.

"If you want answers, stay silent and follow me. Else, you may return to your room."

Ryan spat in irritation. I saw him examining the hall like a cat, and I realized that he was trying to keep a low profile. He didn't want anyone to see us. I instantly sealed my mouth. Of course, I want to know what his secrets are, and I am going to take any risk for that. We exited the main entrance without alerting anyone and walked past the large fountain in the front. There were two paths ahead of us. One led to the back of the mansion, where the garden was, and the other was a mystery to me. We took the latter one, and I found pine trees on either side of the road. Instead of going through the clear route, he turned to the woods, and I accompanied him.

"This way, no one will see us."

Ryan explained, sensing my confusion. Of course, if we took the road, anyone who might be looking from the mansion could spot us, but not anymore.

"This is not your first time sneaking out, is it?"

I asked, but he did not give me an answer. I thought we were already out of the mansion but was surprised to see enormous stone dividers that nearly touched the sky. There was a big single wooden door in the centre, like that of an ancient castle. I hadn't seen this part of the mansion yet, as I had been sleeping for the last few hours while being kidnapped, so I looked around eagerly.

Two gatekeepers were set on the two sides of the door. There was no lock or handle, so I couldn't help thinking about how they opened it. It was so huge that it may have needed hundreds of vampires. Ryan called one of the guards and requested that he open the door. The young guard hollered "OPEN" and ten guards came out of nowhere. They released a thick rope that was attached to the highest point of the door and began to let it go gradually. The massive thing began separating from the wall and soon tumbled to the ground with a crash.