Why Merlin wears a Neckerchief.

Pinterest inspired. Merlin's past slightly altered. I feel like this is horrible, I go from scene to scene too fast, but I don't knowhow to fix it. Gets good when Arthur and Merlin are about to have supper. I think the story idea is pretty good though.

Merlin vaguely remembered a time when there wasn't a collar chafing on his neck. That was the happiest time of his life.

At five summers, Merlin's mother had married. Their marriage day had made her ecstatic, and Merlin loved having a father.

So far Jerry had done many fun things with Merlin. Like teaching him how to fish, the ways of farming, and games that made the chores more fun.

Hunith was grateful. She could get far more work done without a boy hanging on her leg the whole day. Some jobs went to Jerry, which also helped her productivity. There would be no shortage of winter jackets or clothes this year. Maybe they could even have a small feast. Jerry's job had really gotten them a more stable home life.

Although, there was still one problem. Jerry knew not of Merlin's magic. The boy had promised to try his best to not use it, or at least not around Jerry. By some miracle Jerry still didn't know. Hunith was just looking for a good time to tell him. It seemed telling was not what destiny had in store for Jerry.

The day of their small feast, was for the most part filled with joy. Waking early, they had gotten some decorations out. Chores had been quick, and fun. The day was filled with laughter. Games were constantly played. Jerry loved Merlin as he would his own son. Merlin's giggling could make even the worst of his days better.

Jerry believed he'd finally escaped his past. Unfortunately that was not the case.

Merlin was cracking up from his step dad's goofyness. He wanted to be just like him one day. Goofy, kind and bold. Jerry had smudged some gravy across his left cheek. When Merlin noticed and pointed, Jerry would purposely miss it to make him laugh.

"Bang!" The door had been kicked down. There stood a tall scarred man.

The man had a dagger in his hand and threw it at Jerry. Regret was written all over Jerry's face. He watched as the dagger came towards him at top speed, then stopped right in front of him. Jerry didn't question it, he grabbed the knife and threw it at the man.

"Go to your room Merlin," Hunith demanded. He of course complied. What had just happened was beyond Merlin. He'd used magic to save Jerry, and then Jerry had killed the man.

Merlin was sitting on his bed when Hunith entered. "Jerry has gone to the tavern for tonight," Hunith whispered. She obviously sounded distressed, but Merlin knew better then to ask. "He knows of your magic now, and we'll see what happens, but for now. Sleep." Kissing him on the cheek, and flashing Merlin a smile, she left. Leaving Merlin to his dreams, and eventually to sleep.

He was awoken by whispering, and a hand covering his mouth with a funny smelling cloth. They quickly placed a metal collar on him and dragged him out of bed. A few seconds of blurryness from the nauseating smell and he'd lost consciousness.

When he regained consciousness he was in a concrete cell. There were two separate straw piles. One for the other prisoner, and another for himself. It smelt of feces and mould. Merlin propped himself into a sitting position. The collar was still on. Only now he realized it was rather large.

"Those stop you from using magic," a course voice commented.

Meanwhile, Hunith was panicking. Merlin was gone. Where was he? Then she remembered the men that drugged her and left her there. Had Jerry caused that? Merlin saved his life, and he goes and tells people? Where is that son of a.... Let's just say profanities were her best friend at the moment.