Failed assassin

Pinterest Inspired. Will is still alive.

"Leave all your weapons here. This is sacred ground. If you take weapons onto it, we will all be cursed." the guy that was helping bring the group of knights back to Camelot told. At the moment, Merlin was trying to remember his name. It started with an A.

The knights, and Arthur then proceeded to take their swords, and a few extra weapons out.

Believe it or not, but Gwaine was rather superstitious. So he took all his weapons out, before saying, "your turn Merlin."

In reply Merlin glared at him, and pulled a dagger out of his coat pocket.

The majority of the group was seriously surprised that Merlin had a dagger. Some were fairly concerned.

"C'mon Merlin, I know you have more than that!" Gwaine pushed.

Sighing, Merlin pulled three more daggers and pocket knives out of random pockets. Most knights were gaping at their friend who couldn't fight.

"Don't forget the rest."

If looks could kill, then Gwaine would be dead. Luckily they didn't. Pulling out four more weapons, and a bunch of poison darts, Arthur was bewildered.

Gwaine then turned back to the person guiding them, "alright, now we can go Alrick"

That was his name. Alrick. Thought Merlin. This guy seemed awfully suspicious to Merlin. He'd warned Arthur, and as usual, Arthur brushed it off as 'Merlin being an idiot.'

Entering the sacred ground, (Merlin sincerely didn't believe it was sacred ground) they found rocky terrain, and a few strangely shaped, large mushrooms.

Long story short, the mushrooms were people cloaked with magic, and they were attacked. At the moment they were weaponless, surrounded, and their guide had turned on them.

Sighing, he started muttering, "not like I warned you about the guy or anything! Now I'm going to have to blow my cover, and-" after that, his muttering became indecipherable, but still continued.

Soon all the knights were knocked out. The only ones awake from their group were Arthur, and Merlin. There were about fifteen bandits left. The knights had put up a good fight.

Muttering curses, Merlin slammed into one of the bandits, and surprised him with his strength. The bandit dropped his weapon, so Merlin picked it up and threw the sword to Arthur. He caught it, and began fighting.

Arthur fought off four bandits with a weapon, while Merlin fought off the rest with his bare fists.

When all the bandits were knocked out, Arthur and Merlin began to drag the knights in the direction that Merlin had claimed to be the direction of Camelot.

While they were dragging the four knights together, Arthur asked, "how on earth can you fight like that? Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"You wouldn't exactly believe me if I had told before you saw me fight now would you?"

Nodding, Arthur motioned for Merlin to continue.

"How you ask? Well remember how I told you I grew up in Ealdor?" Pausing to look at Arthur, "well that was partly true. I stayed in Ealdor untill I turned seven. Then my mother sent me to an academy for assassins. I stayed there with Will until I turned eighteen. Shortly before I met you."

Taking a few seconds to process this new information, he looked at the ground as he continued dragging Leon and Gwaine. "Wait, if you're an assassin, then why are you still working for me?"

Merlin sighed again. He seemed to be doing that a lot today. "See I failed, and instead they made me a protector. Just remember that you can't tell anyone. Then I won't be undercover anymore."

"I understand, I won't say a word of it to anyone. But why did you fail?"

"Because I admitted I didn't like the sight of blood, or hunting. I was their best until I admitted it. Apparently that's a huge 'no' for the academy."

They continued dragging the four knights, as they were lost in their thoughts.

"So that's what you meant when you made all those jokes about 'saving my life," Arthur muttered.

"Well partly..."

"There's more?" Arthur asked bewildered.

"Yes, I've wanted to tell you for a whil-" Merlin was interrupted.

Groaning, Elyan clutched his head, "where are we? Why is Merlin dragging me?"

"Because you got knocked out." Arthur replied annoyed. Now he'd have to wait to ask Merlin again.

"And Merlin didn't?" Elyan asked disbelievingly.

"Nope. Pathetic isn't it? A servant doing better than four knights." Arthur was hiding the fact that Merlin wasn't just a servant. Merlin was a servant, a trained assassin and Arthur's best friend.

.