The mirror of Erised

What if the Mirror of Erised was around when Arthur was alive? For Potter heads that like Merlin. Cute short story.

Arthur had reason to believe someone had broken into Camelot's vaults. Now they were inside, and trying to find out what was missing.

Merlin had started looking through a adjoining hallway with random vanities, cupboards, and other furniture. Perhaps these items were cursed or simply had spells placed on them at some point?

Going further, he heard footsteps, and recognized them as Arthur's without even looking.

"Merlin, what are you doing?" Arthur asked rather annoyed.

Shrugging, Merlin continued on, Arthur now in tow.

Soon they came upon a separate room that seemed to be far more blocked off then the rest.

Cautiously opening the door slightly, Merlin stepped in.

The room was almost completely empty, and only had one mirror leaning on the wall. This room had less dust then the rest of the vaults, it seemed someone came in here a while ago. When Uther was still alive most likely.

Reading the words on top, Merlin tried to make sense of them. "I show not your face, but your heart's desire." After actually looking into the mirror Merlin gasped.

Looking into the mirror, Merlin did not only see his, and Arthur's reflection, but he also saw Will, Freya, a happy looking Morgana, Mordred, Gilly,  his Father and many more. Each looking proud, and smiling at Merlin. He felt tears come to his eyes. It had been a while since Merlin had seen most of them.

Upon looking in the mirror, Arthur saw a nearly normal reflection of Merlin and himself.

Arthur simply couldn't understand why Merlin looked like he was about to cry in real life, and smiling lovingly at Arthur in the reflection. The second main difference was Arthur's clothing. In the reflection he wore farmer's clothing, instead of his normal chain male.

As Merlin took another step towards the mirror, there was the slight crunch of old, brittle paper. Picking up the paper he read, "the mirror of Erised. It shows what you want, never your face. Some waste away in front of the mirror and never learn. So please look once, and never return." Looking to Arthur, Merlin then asked, "what do you see?"

"I see us?" Arthur started skeptically, then continued, "I'm wearing farm clothes, and you're looking at me weirdly. What about you? What could the happy go lucky idiot servant possibly want?" After asking, Arthur thought he'd add in a joke, "a day off? Because that's never going to happen."

"The people I've lost," Merlin admitted. Then before he was about to continue, he noticed a book to the side with Uther's writing.

Grabbing it, and reading some with Arthur, the realized that this was Uther's old journal.

It seemed that Uther visited the site every day, and looked upon Ygraine's kind face. Looking at something he could not have, drove him mad.

Gwaine then came in. "Why is there an Apple tree in the reflection?"