Chapter 2

The woman ran into the room again, looking furious. She threw her purse on the floor and turned around towards Tashby, accompanied by the sound of dangling keys.

"Gather your things and head to Dero. You're in danger here."

"Alone?"

"Yes. It'd be safer for both of us if you went on your own."

"What's happening?"

"No time for explaining. You'll find out once you get to Dero. But don't trust the police."

"How? What's going on?"

"Please do what I say!" She raised her voice. Tashby ran upstairs in a heap of emotions. Something serious was happening, and she didn't know what it was. She skated to her room on the polished floor.

After a few minutes of searching inside the closet, she grabbed the first bag she could see and threw a few things inside. Then she hurried downstairs and dashed out the door. The last thing she saw of her home was her mother's white shirt.

It was hard to walk when everyone else was flying. Today it was much sunnier than yesterday, which calmed Tashby down a bit. People were hovering above the ground in groups, giggling and jumping over trees with grace and strength.

A group of teenagers was seated on the edge of the neighbors' rooftop. Tashby saw food with the corner of her eye. She was starting to feel hungry, but she blocked those thoughts. All that mattered was to get to Dero. Then she could at least find out what was happening. Tashby didn't even know the direction, and she had no money. Perhaps she'd done something wrong, and because of her the whole plan, - whatever it was, - would fail.

"Excuse me!" She called out at the teenagers. It felt wrong to her to attract attention to herself, but she swallowed the feeling and prepared to listen. A teenage boy turned his head at her.

"How do I get from Trimi to Dero?" Tashby continued before she could think of anything else.

"You go out of the city from the west and head forward," The boy replied, still looking shocked by the spontaneous question.

"Thanks!"