Chapter 33

They finally went past the canyon, and the wind started blowing. Ernest covered his face, but Tashby didn't notice at first. She looked around, searching for him, as the sandstorm covered everything. Sand blew into her eyes, and she closed them.

"It's Tashby!"

"Are you lost?" Kelly asked. Tashby couldn't see her, but she was somewhere. "Come here!"

Tashby forced herself to open her eyes and got struck with pain. She moved in a random direction; she had no clue where Kelly's voice was coming from. She just hoped so see someone.

A silhouette flashed in the distance and disappeared the same moment. Tashby headed for where it once was, taking one chance to close her eyes.

"Anyone?"

There was no answer. She started panicking, trembling.

And then she ran. She didn't know what else she could do. Her legs could barely move, but she did her best. The wind calmed down, and she felt a little relieved. Tashby looked into the ocean of sand, struggling to see some kind of shape.

"Is anyone here? It's Tashby!"

"I'm here!"

She ran in the direction of the voice and bumped into someone's body. Finally, she thought.

"Who is this?"

"Cosmo. Relax."

She took a deep breath, careful not to inhale sand. The wind was finally quiet, and the landscape cleared. She looked up and saw Cosmo's sad face. Turning around, she saw nobody else.

"They're... They're gone," she muttered.

"I know. We'll meet in Linor, I guess."

"How are we going to get there on our own?"

"Somehow. We have to, if we want safety."

Tashby held his hand, feeling safer that way. At least she wasn't entirely alone.

"Let's just continue walking," he encouraged, taking a step.

Tashby opened her flask and walked after him. She spent a few minutes calming down and looked up at Cosmo again. She had known his deceased sister.

But she couldn't speak. Not in such risky circumstances. She'd find some time later, when they reached Linor.