Chapter 12

Tashby stared at the busy street from around the corner. Now she was desperate, but she couldn't ask anyone. Ivy had told her not to give out their identities.

She could give up, but fear drove her further into the crowd. It shoved her towards the wall of a building, and soon she slammed against it. At the same time she felt the surface behind her back moving and tripped. Looking up from the ground, she saw the door opening and crawled back.

"Tashby!"

Someone's hand grabbed her by the arm and got her up. Her eyes met with Ivy's.

"Where have you been?" Ivy tugged her into the house. Tashby assumed it was another hotel.

"I got lost in the crowd and spent the night among the homeless," Tashby decided to stay silent about her mistake while stealing. The concept made her afraid.

"Be careful next time," Ivy grunted. Tashby looked around more carefully. She had no idea how Ivy could afford such a luxurious place. There was a red carpet and a chandelier; the floors were made of marble. But it felt impolite to ask.

They went up the stairs and entered a room. Unlike the foyer, it was modest. Tashby felt relieved.

"We're getting closer to Laora. Neva's next. We'll cut of then, it'll be faster and we'll be harder to notice."

Tashby looked away, then nodded briefly as a proof of understanding. She didn't care. Flashbacks of Keaton were filling her mind. She was sure that she'd simply panicked too much and that soon that would all be forgotten. She had more adventures ahead of her.

To get her mind away, she fell on the soft bed and though of what Laora would look like. Suddenly something pinched inside her mind, and she sat up, feeling more upset.

She had to tell Ivy about blowing the cover. It was dangerous for both to keep it to herself. They could be caught because of it.

And she stood up and headed to Ivy, the moving of her bare feet making footstep noise against the polished wooden floor.