Chapter 10

"Then stay next to me and I'll teach you."

Tashby gulped. She wanted to show she was scared and provoke empathy, but she was hit by a realization that in this life, such methods didn't work. So she stood on her feet, still feeling a little heavy. Not in the mood for theft, and in addition, she risked getting hurt. Committing any more crimes was a huge risk.

But Keaton was already waiting at the door. The squeaking sound of opening brought her back to reality. Following her instincts, Tashby rushed out. Keaton immediately grabbed her hand while she was blinded by the sunlight.

The bright yellow mist disappeared, and the narrow street opened before Tashby.

"What are we going to steal?"

"Anything that we find useful."

She nearly tripped over the high stairs, but once she managed to get out, she felt a little more determined. She had to do it; there was no other choice. And she'd do it, and stay safe. After that, she'd surely find Ivy. Perhaps that little criminal trip would be the opportunity to get back on her trip to Laora.

But if she hoped to return, she couldn't stay close to Keaton.

"See that stand over there? With nuts?"

She nodded while trying to find that stand. She found herself standing still on one of the crowded streets.

"Sneak under it and get a handful."

Her feet didn't feel ready to get up, but she managed it. Tashby glanced at the shopkeeper, a teenage boy. Who had let him work?

He was sitting, one leg hanging, the other one standing on the white plastic chair. He was using a magazine to protect himself from the heat and paid no attention to his little business.

Tashby kneeled. Suddenly she saw his eyes on her and immediately jumped back.

"You want something?"

"Uh, no," she backed up again and turned around. Keaton looked cross and worried, and when their eyes met, he gestured at her to continue.