Chapter 14

Tashby pulled her body upwards. A few of the most basic thoughts popped up, letting her know what was happening. Then she opened her eyes to see darkness.

"You awake?" Ivy asked.

"Yes."

She felt an arm pull her off the bed gently.

"We'll go out in the dark. That way, it'll be harder to catch us and we'll get there faster."

Tashby blinked a few times in hopes to see something. The silhouette of a face was the first thing she saw. She was looking up at Ivy.

She took an unsure step, holding Ivy's hand. Soon she saw the door, and Ivy's keys as she opened it. The staircase climb down was surprisingly easy, and soon cold air hit her face. The streets she recognized as crowded in the daytime were now empty. It gave out a refreshing vibe, but it also felt haunting. How easy was she to notice in such an empty space?

Ivy suddenly stopped and sat down on her knees, throwing her backpack off in a swift movement.

"Why?"

"Are you thirsty?"

Something shaped like a bottle slipped into Tashby's hand. She found the lid and screwed it off, taking a sip of the cold liquid.

"Thanks."

"Let's go."

They moved on. The moon was closer to setting than rising, and soon the first windows would start glowing. Even now, they had to hurry. That had become a bit of a rule to Tashby; something obvious and clear. She was already getting a little used, and that made her glad. She had the urge to change and learn to survive while being the person she now was.

Tashby decided that it was time to ask all the questions she had.

"Ivy?" She whispered as quietly as she could, still paranoid about someone noticing them.

"What is it?"

Tashby paid attention to the fact that she was still clutching the water bottle in her hands, fidgeting with it. That movement was slightly distracting, so a short period of silence happened.

"How is it in Laora?"

"Gorgeous. But also dangerous. We don't usually trust strangers much. Any second we might be caught and killed."

Tashby didn't have to wonder why. She was feeling that way herself.

"And how'd you find out about me?"

"I knew your mother before I left for the Village. We got in contact once again when I was out on a trip. She told me about you and I got interested."