Chapter 40

When the grass was finally visible closely, Tashby finally stopped and jumped, kicking sand up. Ernest turned around.

"I'm way too excited," she explained as she went after him. "See that green bit? This is the border."

"How are we going to cross it?"

"Cosmo said we'd probably tell the truth, but neither of us know for sure," She raced for the grass and fell down right in front of the group. Ernest fell down next to her, chuckling. Tashby smiled back and pushed herself up.

"How are we gonna cross the border?" He asked as he found Kelly with his eyes.

"I've already got everything arranged. Didn't know what to do, so I told the truth."

"And it worked?" Ernest's eyes widened. She nodded, smiling. Tashby jumped again, a rush of energy filling her.

"Calm down," Kingsley spoke through laughter. Tashby went on to hug Cosmo, then Willow. Ernest was last, and he spread his hands out himself. Kelly threw herself at the couple with a roar of laughter. Tashby felt a little smothered, but she was way too happy. When she caught a glimpse of Cosmo, he was wiping off a tear. Willow was also hugging.

"Can't believe this is happening," Kelly muttered, eyeing the border.

"Never thought you'd be so excited about going on holiday," Ernest said mockingly as she cracked up. Tashby giggled as she fell onto the grass again, looking out for what was behind the border.

For her first impression of her new home.

There were a few palm trees lined up before a straight road.

"What will we do once we're there?" She asked Kelly.

"Live our life. Whatever happens, we'll just live," she said in a raspy voice, smiling through tears. Tashby remembered about Cosmo; he'd stopped crying and sat down.

She thought she had let go of the big world when she agreed to run from Trimi, but she was only entering it. And she might have made mistakes sometimes, but now she'd do her best.

Ernest stood up and headed forward, his stare focused on the border. Tashby stood up, sensing that it was time to go. Every step seemed important, and she valued every moment.

Not a single person turned around to look back at Laora. That wasn't needed. This country was not their home; they had yet to find it. Laora might have been dear, and it might have once been home, but it wasn't the only one they had.

She inhaled before taking the last step into Linor, getting ready. She'd made her choice, and it was the right one.