Chapter 28

The trees ended, revealing what remained of the village. Tashby hadn't even gotten to see it up close before.

"Someone's gotta go in with me and see if anyone's left," Kelly instructed.

"I can," Tashby immediately called out. She was curious about seeing the village, and she would have a chance to be useful and cover up her grief.

Nobody else seemed to want it. Tashby understood them: after losing their home, they didn't want to see it again. So she followed Kelly into the dead place. It looked chilling in the morning mist, but also enchanting.

"Anyone here?" Kelly shouted.

"Me!" A male voice called back.

"Let's go," Kelly pulled Tashby in the direction of the voice. She walked on obediently, stunned that someone else was alive. Whoever it was, she was excited about meeting him.

"Kingsley! Is that you?" Kelly pulled out a skinny man with her other hand. "Never thought you'd survive."

"Me neither," Kingsley shook his head.

"This is Tashby," Kelly introduced. Kingsley gave a brief nod, breathing heavily and inhaling the air that was filled with tension.

"Anyone else? This is the villager group of survivors!" She shouted into the mist. There was no reply this time.

"Do not leave my side," she ordered, turning back to Tashby and Kingsley. They exchanged curious glances on the way. Tashby was amazed that someone else had survived. The more people there were, the more chances they had to live.

Suddenly she saw a corpse lying on the ground. It was almost burnt and incredibly pale. She stopped, holding the rest back.

It was a female body, her colorless hair messed up. One shoe was on her foot, while the other one was lying next to her. The body looked familiar, and in a moment Tashby was sure who it was.

"Ivy," Kelly muttered as she pushed Tashby aside and approached the corpse. There were tears on her eyes, - she must have also known Ivy. Obviously, since they all lived in one village.

Used to live in one village.

Tashby fell on her knees. She'd completely forgotten about Ivy while talking to Ernest, but there she was, dead.

Her guide was dead because of her.

"Let's go," Kelly turned around from the corpse and stood up. Tashby also managed herself up and took a deep breath. She still had Ivy's siblings, and she was glad. But how would they react to the news?

She gulped for air, suddenly afraid. The sense of powerlessness was pulsing through her body, just after she had felt strong for a while. This could also happen to her.