Chapter 5

At first Tashby couldn't sleep, which was reasonable to her. She tried to lie still on her side, but ended up looking at the white ceiling and forcing herself to think positively.

She would go to Laora and be safe there. She'd survive. And she was used to a life with no wings; it was just what she had to do. Everyone did it, even Ivy.

Could she trust Ivy? She had decided to. It was essential; Ivy could provide her with food and shelter, if not save her life.

But despite all the thoughts, Tashby shut her eyes that night. She didn't know how long she'd slept, but she woke up in the early morning. Ivy was already up, apparently; there were footsteps that were heard. Even they were now a reason for chills to run down Tashby's body.

She entered Ivy's bedroom. For the first couple of seconds she went unnoticed, but then Ivy turned her head.

"Good morning," she smiled. Tashby noticed Ivy was packing up money.

"Hi," Tashby replied, entering. At that moment Ivy zipped her purse up and stood, still and confident.

"We need to go now. To the capital."

"To Karnie?"

"Yes. Be extra careful there. If you're caught, you're most likely going to die," Ivy opened the door, letting Tashby run into the large hall and down the stairs. Ivy gave her a brief glance, locked the door and followed.

Tashby noticed that the lady wasn't at the desk. Ivy simply put the keys on there without saying a word and proudly, yet unnoticeably walked outside. Tashby ran after her. She looked around the narrow street again; it seemed more joyful in daylight. People were outside, talking on their porch steps and laughing. Some of them were smoking.

Suddenly it hit her that she would likely miss the city. It was where she had grown up, what she was taught to love. She never thought that she'd be in danger here. But as her life was changing, this was her last chance to enjoy the country.