Chapter 39

Tashby suddenly realized how brave she had become. It was almost borderline stupidity, but she didn't care. In less than a day, she would be in safety.

As the canyon narrowed, she forced herself to ignore all her sanity and jump over it. There was no time for doubt.

So she ran backwards and then moved forward, hoping to reach the end. She couldn't close her eyes, otherwise she would definitely fall. As her feet were torn away from the ground, the last thought of doubt disappeared.

And as she was about to reach the other side and land peacefully, she slipped down. Bruising her stomach against the edge, she flew down. Her hands held onto the edge, but she didn't have the power to pull herself onto the ground.

Now her palms were almost slipping off. She held on closer and felt sand fall onto her face. Her eyes closed now, and she pushed up in a last attempt to save herself. Her stomach got another bruise as it met the edge, but the upper half of her body was already on the ground. She moved her legs, seeking for something to push away from. There was no success, and now she was slipping down again. She shook her legs and threw them up, using up all her force. The last thing she saw was the white feathers on the bottom, and then everything was dark.

The only thing she heard was her breathing. She gasped for air greedily as she waited for the right moment to open her eyes. She was sure she wasn't falling; she was obviously lying on solid ground. Sand was in her hands; she was powerless. She obviously needed rest.

Her eyes finally unlocked, and she was blinded by the sun above her. She'd made it. It was okay. Taking another breath she sat up. Tashby didn't look at the canyon again. Instead, she forced her legs to hold her up. She was almost falling, but she found balance. It was probably around midday. She had no clue how long she'd been lying there. Either way, she had to run.

Tashby took a final gulp for air and started moving. Her body ached, but she forced herself to take another step. The more steps she managed to make, the better. Every second was an opportunity to get air.

As she got used to it, she finally got to feel the thrill. Adrenalin was everything now. It felt so free, she almost wanted to jump over the canyon again.

Her knees bended as she leaned against the remains of a tree. Now they seemed weaker than her, but she breathed again, looking for Ernest. A figure appeared somewhere, and she pushed herself away from the tree to follow it.

"Ernest!"

The figure stopped, then turned and finally reached her.

"Tashby! I saw a group of men heading into the village. Their wings were messed up. I tried to talk to them, but I didn't get to."

"Alright," she breathed out. "The rest are waiting for you at the border."

"Oh, cool, you've already reached the border!" He grinned, hugging her.

"Yup, let's go."

She decided not to jump over anything this time. Just for the sake of peace.