Chapter 25

Sleeping outdoors was something Tashby had never gotten to try before. She assumed she was still inexperienced as she stared blankly at the stars, afraid to look down at the horrors below. Was Ivy there?

She couldn't turn, since it was uncomfortable and dangerous, considering their height and the difficulty of the climb. The rocks were slammed into her spine, making her fidget. Perhaps nobody could fall asleep, and she wasn't alone, but she was surely far worse at survival than those people.

Tashby finally closed her eyes, and opened them again in the morning without any dreams. She forced herself up from the ground.

"Oh, great. Everyone's awake," Kelly announced, handing her another cup of what she had realized was some primitive type of tea. Tashby started drinking immediately, thirsty after the night.

"The war's over, they're gone," Kelly continued informing. Tashby took a moment to look around. Her back hurt, and she saw familiar faces turning towards her. Willow and Ernest nodded, and she dedicated her efforts to nodding back.

"Should go down now?' Archer asked.

"The faster we get there, the less it will take us to get to Linor," Kelly replied. "So yes, we should. Ernest, don't get lost. We'll need you."

Ernest gave out a small laugh as he stood up. Tashby was the next one. Her legs were too tired to get down, but she shifted her mind to something other than exhaustion. She had learnt to avoid thinking, but now she had a lot to think about.

She placed her foot on the first rock, sure she was last in the bunch. She didn't bother to keep up; she couldn't exhaust her body even more.

Then she heard rapid steps without any rhythm behind her. Soon Ernest caught up.

"Hi," He started.

"Hello," Tashby replied, her mind still looking for a good thing to think about.

"Did you sleep well? I didn't."

"Neither did I," She replied without much wondering. That was one of the things she was sure about. "But thanks for asking."

At least she was getting close to somebody. Ernest wasn't demanding explanation about her background, - at least, not yet.