Chapter 8

Keaton grinned.

"New here, aren't you? Never seen you here before."

"I am. Have any food?" Tashby asked and immediately felt a little embarrassed.

"Please," she added, mouthing the word quietly.

"Sure. I live in one basement, alone. Would love if someone joined me. There are other kids, but they're in different places. I'll show them to you one day."

"Why don't you go and join them, then?" They had started walking at a slow pace; Keaton was kicking small rocks on the way.

"I'm fine here," he answered and looked back at the ground. He was wearing beaten sneakers, and his shoelaces were untied.

Tashby put her hands into her pockets and used the moment of silence to analyze the situation. Now she'd have someone to temporarily help her. But she still had to find Ivy, or she'd be found and killed eventually. And it needed to be done as fast as possible.

"How's it in Linor?" Keaton interrupted her thoughts. "Beautiful?"

"I barely remember it," Tashby said the first thing on her mind, careful not to lose the thought.

"Oh."

More silence. The district they were passing through was completely sleepy. There was no noise, which Tashy was relieved about. She wondered if the homeless people of Karnie liked crowded or empty places best. She knew her answer, either way.

"This way," She heard behind her back and turned around. She had rushed forward in front of Keaton, and he was standing at a turn.

"Oh, alright," she murmured, moving back and coming to Keaton, who was standing.

He took her to an open staircase which led to a small door. He pushed it open and it squeaked, requiring no key. Tashby shivered at the sound.

Darkness veiled her, and for a second she saw nothing. Then she heard Keton's footsteps and some sounds.

After that there was a small light of a candle. She could see a little of the interior: in the corner there was a chest full of what seemed like random trash. That had to be treasures for Keaton, she thought.