Chapter 32

Sleep came to Tashby faster than last night. She felt safer, and she needed an escape from the troubles.

She was woken up by loud chuckling. Archer and Cosmo were sitting, pressed against each other, and drinking from flasks. Tashby immediately turned around to find Ernest. He was there, also drinking.

"Go get yours," he pointed at the flask. "Kelly's giving them to everyone."

She nodded appreciatively and stood up, feeling Ernest's gaze on herself for a few more seconds. Kelly was also drinking, looking at the burnt forest. Tashby touched her back lightly, causing her to turn around.

"Can I have a flask?" She asked quietly.

"Oh... Sure," Kelly flashed a smile. "Save up some water. We're trying to get to Linor today. The feather in the canyon thing has gotten me worried."

Tashby looked away with relief. Linor was a day's walk apart, closer than it had ever been.

What was she even doing?

Something hit her back, and she turned around to see Kelly handing the flask to her.

"Thank you," she stood up and went back to Ernest. She decided not to drink yet. Ernest had also stopped drinking and put his flask on the ground. He held it with his hand as she sat down, careful for it not to fall into the canyon. Tashby didn't dare to look down, so she stared at Ernest instead.

"So are we going to get to Linor today?"

"Hope so," he said, picking the flask up again and clearing his throat. "Let's depart!"

Everyone turned around at his statement. Ernest jumped up and gave Tashby a hand. She took it and started walking.

"How long is the canyon?" She asked him.

"Kind of long, but by midday we'll be long done with it."

Tashby took a step away from it. It took a moment for her to see a white spark at the bottom of the canyon. Who could be after them?

"Who do you think were these people?"

"No clue, but I'm afraid they didn't have good intentions."

"How do you know?" she tried to stay positive.

"I don't know, I'm afraid," he laughed. She burst out with laughter, relaxing.