Chapter 26

"How's it in Linor?" She asked, remembering the question that Keaton asked her and then realizing it was out of place.

"Well, the politics are sure better than in this country," Ernest answered, getting a little further in front of her, then waiting for her to reach him.

"How are wingless people treated?" Tashby asked as she caught up with him.

"The government treats us as equals. They're trying to find a cure, but honestly, I highly doubt that they will. And the society? Well, people are cruel. No matter how hard you try to stop it, they'll still end up hating you because you're worse than them in some aspect of life."

Tashby stopped for a second to take that in, stunned by his sudden speech. He was surely intelligent, maybe even more so than Keaton. Probably more so than Keaton.

"You mentioned something about bullying," She also tried to act smart, but keep the casual tone.

"Yes," the response came immediately as Ernest waited for her to catch up again. "If it were normal bullying, the simple stuff that every loser kid experiences, I would take it. But they attacked me lots of times."

Ernest offered Tashby his hand, and after a moment of hesitation, she took it. She saw that they weren't too far behind the rest, just around two meters. Ernest didn't seem eager to get to the rest.

"Who attacked you?" She asked.

"Boys, not much older than me. They didn't usually say anything but throw some pathetic insults. They still hurt, though."

She got surprised by the sudden details he gave her. That was supposed to be personal information, and he had given it out to a girl he had met yesterday. Trust seemed to matter a lot here. But would he trust her?

"Well, I also ran here," She decided to tell the truth, even if she wouldn't say all of it. "I'm from Trimi. You speak the same language as us, don't you?" She got distracted as a question appeared inside her head. The less she said about herself, the better.

"Yes," Ernest answered briefly.

"I have always thought you had an accent."

"Nah, we don't."