Third Birthday

Sirius laughs as his niece runs down the stairs.

"Harry!" She yells, and the other toddler races into the room on his little toy broomstick, giggling.

She runs after him, laughing.

"Good morning Sirius." James says, snatching his son out of the air before he runs into the wall.

"Morning James." Sirius says, grabbing the birthday girl off the floor.

"Happy birthday little swan!" James exclaims, smiling at the little girl.

The merry group of four take their seats at the table as Lily passes out plates of eggs and croissant sandwiches.

"What are you doing today?" Lily asks her when she sits down.

"Going with Moony!" She squeals.

Harry giggles.

Silence except for the occasional giggle from Harry and the sound of utensils against the plates, falls over the house.

Sirius picks up Cygnus and James picks up Harry and they wash them up.

Lily is waiting with a towel to dry the youngster's hands and faces.

"I have to get nice clothes!" Cygnus exclaims suddenly, wiggling out of Sirius' arms and running upstairs.

Lily chuckles and follows her upstairs.

When she enters the young girl's room she finds her going through her dresser.

Lily grabs James' extra briefcase and packs the toddler's overnight necessities.

Between the two girls they manage to pick a navy and emerald striped dress with a pleated skirts.

Lily combs the little girl's hair, the same unruly bunch of midnight black curls that Sirius has, and ties it back with an emerald ribbon.

Cygnus turns to leave the room and sees Remus leaning against the doorframe, a smile on his face and his arms crossed in front of him.

"Moony!" She exclaims, running to him.

Remus grins as he catches the child and tosses her in the air.

"There's the birthday girl!" He laughs, embracing her.

Cygnus wraps her small arms around his neck and squeezes him in return, her head nuzzled in the crook of his neck.

Lily smiles as she watches the duo, latching the briefcase closed before handing it to Remus.

"Thank you, Lily." He says, still cuddling Cygnus.

She trails behind them on the stairs and joins the boys standing in the foyer.

"Have fun with your Moony, little Swan." James says, brushing a stray piece of her hair out of her eyes.

Sirius presses a kiss to her hair and presses his hand to her back.

"Enjoy yourself." He says, "Both of you."