Sweets and Don't Sweat Its.

"Hurry up boys!" Cygnus calls from her spot in the Gryffindor common room. "I am in desperate need of Honeydukes."

Some of the younger Gryffindors laugh from their spots around her, the first years still weary of the Slytherin, but delighted that she was bossing around the twins.

"Why are you upside down?" George asks, pulling his sweater over his head as he comes down the stairs.

Cygnus rights herself, grabbing George's outstretched hand to steady herself as her head spins. "Easy there Cygnus." He grins, ruffling her hair.

"Alright, any last editions before we go on our escapade?" No one answers as the boy pulls down the parchment that had been tacked to the notice board.

"Right, George, Cygnus." Fred nods, slinging his messenger bag over his shoulder.

The three share a wicked grin and exit the Gryffindor Common Room.

-

"Reckon we should get Dean the Licorice Wands he asked for?" George asks, crossing another item off the list.

"Is he still being a git to Harry?" Cygnus asks, biting the head off of a chocolate frog.

"I dunno. I suppose they've had to make up by now." He shrugs.

"We'll get him two." Cygnus decrees, tossing the pair to the boy.

"Here's All the Bertie Botts." Fred says, ticking them off as he adds them to their bag.

"Looks like we've got everything but our own." George grins. Cygnus jumps up and grabs a handful of chocolates.
-
"My best customers!" The cashier laughs, waving his wand over the bulging bag. "How are Hogwarts things?"

"Rotten, what with all the drama." Cygnus sighs, sucking on a mint.

"I'd reckon so." The cashier nods. "Alright, I'll just add this to the running charge."

"Thanks!" The trio choruses.
-

"Ah bullocks, here, Cyg." Fred says, dumping a share of the spoils in one of the plastic bags and handing it to her. "You have your lesson with Lupin."

Cygnus takes the bag and tucks it into her pocket. "Catch up with you lot later." She says.

"Mischief managed." George winks, and the twins make a break for the Gryffindor Tower while Cygnus slinks down the hall towards the Defense against the Dark arts classroom.

"Professor Lupin?" She asks, knocking on the door of the classroom.

"Come in."

She opens the door and neatly shuts it behind her.

The thin man looks up from his desk and nods. "Have you thought about your memory?" He asks.

"I have." She answers, reaching into her pocket. "And I brought you something."

The man quirks an eyebrow, and when she produces the bag of loot he smiles. "I see you have taken note of my sweet tooth."

"Not terribly hard to notice." She shrugs, setting the bag on the desk.

"Well, let's see how your casting is coming along, and if you have indeed chosen the right memory we'll split the candy in celebration." He winks, rising from his chair.

Cygnus shrugs off her Slytherin robes and pushes the sleeves of her sweater up past her elbows.

"Easy now." He reminds her, unlatching one side of the trunk. "Just think of your memory."

Cygnus closes her eyes and pictures the scene the sorting hat granted her a second glimpse of. The cold despair touches her heart, but she opens her eyes and grins. "Expecto Patronum."

From the end of her wand erupts a large burst of white mist, and then, a Phoenix.

The professor is silent as he slams the lid of the trunk closed.

"It is very rare for a witch or wizard to produce a corporal Patronus. Even extinct animals are more likely to be the shape a Patronus takes, but magical creatures, magical creatures are the most uncommon of all the possibilities." He says, blinking.

-

"Well, Miss Black, I do believe that after this week there shall be no need for these tutoring sessions." The professor informs her, "pass me a chocolate frog."

She obliges, and he offers her the card. Tucking it into her pocket she contemplates between a truffle and a chocolate niffler, choosing to evade the dilemma presented by the man's statement.

There are muffled voices from the hall, and the two share a dire look as they pause outside the door.

"Well? Where is she?" Barks a loud voice as a man bursts into the room.

"Alastor!" She shouts, leaping up from her spot next to the desk.

The Auror booms with laughter, spinning the girl around when she clamours into his arms. "You've done it!"

The Defence Against the Dark Arts professor looks on in envy.

"I never thought I would do it, I thought if he stick with the mist forever!"

"Ha ha! And look at you now! And with a magical Patronus to boot!"

The girl beams with pride.

"Let's see it." Alastor says, slumpsing into a desk. Cygnus grins and turns to the professor.

"Could we-"

"Of course." He screeches, he shakes his head and clears his throat. "Of course."

He opens the trunk and just as defiantly the girl produces the unmistakable bird from the tip of her wand.

When the dementor is safely returned to the trunk she turns excitedly to the Auror.

"My little warrior, no, my Mighty Warrior."

Cygnus and the Auror embrace, sharing a moment that causes Remus Lupin to feel such jealousy that he clears his threat.

The two chuckle as they separate and turn to the man.

"Thank you, professor." Cygnus smiles, offering him a hand. He looks at it with an acute mix of emotions, "don't sweat it." He says carefully, giving it two wry wrings.