Ministry Men

Cygnus was shaken awake by her cousin.

"What is it?" She asks, squinting.

"Hurry." Narcissa says, holding out her robe for Cygnus to step into.

Cygnus slid her arms into the sleeves and tied the belt in a loose knot over her pajamas.

"What's the matter?" She yawns, stretching. Narcissa has her trunk opened and is hurriedly packing.

"Go downstairs." She says, and Cygnus tiredly stumbles through the hall, nearly knocking over a table.

When she reaches the top of the stairs, she sees several burly men standing in the parlour.

She makes her way to her cross looking cousin Lucius, who looks her over intently.

"What's going on, Lucius?" She yawns, rubbing her eyes.

"Miss Black, I'm afraid you are going to have to come with us." One of them says, and Cygnus steps behind Lucius, frightened of him.

Narcissa appears at the top of the main stair, carrying Cygnus' trunk and empty owl cage.

"Did you pack my blanket? Where's Commodore?" She asks worriedly, but at that exact moment the large owl swoops above her cousin and circles the crowd of men, letting out a warning shriek before settling on Cygnus' shoulder and nosing through her hair.

"You're blanket's right on top, of course I packed it, what kind of cousin would I be if I left you without your most prized possession?" She laughs lightheartedly, setting the trunk next to her.

"Mum?" Draco says, bleary eyed. "Dad? Cygnus?"

He looked around at the gathering in the front hall.

"What's going on?" He asks.

"Draco, Honey, go back to bed."
Narcissa says, walking up to her son.

"Miss Black." The man repeats, "It's time to go."

"Where are you taking her?" Draco asks, stepping around his mother, who just sighs.

"Something's happened, and we need to protect her for a while." The man answers, looking between the two teenagers.

"I'm sure I'll be fine, Draco." Cygnus tries to console her cousin.

"You'll see her again, son." The ministry man says.

Draco looks between the workers and his family, his bottom lip quivering.

"I'll be fine, bud, honest." Cygnus says, ruffling his hair.

Draco embraces his cousin.

"Mr Malfoy, I am afraid that we must be going." One of the other ministry workers says.

Cygnus gives her cousin a reassuring squeeze as one of the ministry workers grabs her trunk.

She gives a quick hug to Narcissa, who hands her her glasses, and then awkwardly looks at Lucius, unsure of whether to give him a hug as well. He had never been one of the people to show his love warmly.

"Goodbye, Lucius." She says, extending a hand for a shake, but she is pulled into an awkward hug.

"Take care of yourself, now, Cygnus." He says, letting her go.

Cygnus is too baffled by his actions to respond.

"Don't forget your broom!" Draco gasps, sprinting up the stairs.

The ministry man who had talked the most sighed and pulled out his pocket watch.

"I'm afraid the minister is not going to be pleased. Not at all." He mumbles to himself, making the Slytherin girl raise her eyebrow at him.

Draco comes back carrying her broom and her rucksack full of quidditch and broom suplies.

"What would I do without you Draco?" She asks, shouldering her pack before pulling Draco in for a long hug.

"I'll come back Draco, promise." She says one last time, and then she raises her head and throws her shoulders back.

"Let's get going then." She remarks, throwing her steel eyed gaze towards the man with the pocket watch.

"Yes, yes, follow me." He says, and Cygnus is surrounded on all sides by ministry men.

The walk out to the gate, and once they are through the barrier, Cygnus is grabbed by the upper arm, and they apparate to the ministry.

Cygnus practically jumps out of the fireplace, protectively clutching her broom, and she avoids the fate of the ministry men, who are all squished together and someone is on the floor yelling at the others to get off.